I need a new pasture program

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Made ya look not really but always room for improvement but doing good so far..

IMG_20161108_142936291_zpswgta0nat.jpg

IMG_20161108_142818180_zpspxtpsebx.jpg

IMG_20161108_142804249_HDR_zps563bbudl.jpg

IMG_20161108_142129026_zpslo4dd8v5.jpg

1982vett":1qd06in8 said:
Like a home run to me.

Thanks

True Grit Farms":1qd06in8 said:
Looks like you need a temporary fence to me. Saving grass is a good always a good thing.

Yes sir I took the cross fencing and paddock fencing down since I use the pasture for first cutting hay. I will put it back eventually.

wbvs58":1ewfqfit said:
How long will they leave those round bales alone for Sky?

Ken

Moved them yesterday... Generally I would leave them there till grass almost gone.. They won't touch them long as there's grass.. However the bulls when with the bales thinks there a toy.

skyhightree1":glsykkg6 said:
wbvs58":glsykkg6 said:

Ken

Moved them yesterday... Generally I would leave them there till grass almost gone.. They won't touch them long as there's grass.. However the bulls when with the bales thinks there a toy.
I don't know what it is about a hay bale that turns a mild mannered bull into a temporary psycho. Sometimes it's hard to get the hay ring down before they get them half demolished! They look like they're having fun though.

We haven't had too much trouble with the bulls playing with the hay; but have 3 or 4 cows that like to see if they can roll them. Our biggest problem is a youngish black bear 150 lbs or so, that is having a field day tearing the netwrap off some bales at one place and tearing the bales apart... :mad: :lol: been getting those bales all moved away from there while we can still get them picked up. My son went there to move some after we square baled part of the field and saw him just having a ball playing with them. Had to drive up fairly close and yell at him a couple of times before he took off....

Clodhopper":3cvgtul8 said:
skyhightree1":3cvgtul8 said:
wbvs58":3cvgtul8 said:

Ken

I don't know what it is about a hay bale that turns a mild mannered bull into a temporary psycho. Sometimes it's hard to get the hay ring down before they get them half demolished! They look like they're having fun though.

Yea I have that issue too... will push the bales while on the spike

farmerjan":3cvgtul8 said:
We haven't had too much trouble with the bulls playing with the hay; but have 3 or 4 cows that like to see if they can roll them. Our biggest problem is a youngish black bear 150 lbs or so, that is having a field day tearing the netwrap off some bales at one place and tearing the bales apart... :mad: :lol: been getting those bales all moved away from there while we can still get them picked up. My son went there to move some after we square baled part of the field and saw him just having a ball playing with them. Had to drive up fairly close and yell at him a couple of times before he took off....

He should yell at him from 100 yds away with a .270

There's alot to be said for the .270.....but, this is a rented farm and NO HUNTING allowed. The owner has a ton of money, bought it a couple of years ago, gets with all the programs for waterers and fences etc.. He is picky about some things to the point of ridiculousness, but there's all new fences and waterers for the cattle, nothing to fix or half-azz together, and no hunting allowed. You learn to roll with things if you want to keep the rent. Last year I have a feeling that the bear was a cub or else he has moved into this area after being pushed out of somewhere else. So, we just hauled the hay out of there. We won't winter any cattle there as it is a "bear" to get in and out of, driveway real steep and long to the pastures, and we don't want to deal with that in the bad weather. Michael works for VDOT and if/when there is snow, he pulls 12 hour shifts and so we don't need to be running all over to feed. Have a third pasture to rotate the cattle into there, so it will be close to Christmas when we finally have to move them out. We'll preg ck and wean off the calves and move the cows to the pasture closeby where we calve out in the spring.

Sky it looks to me like you got some good grazing on that piece.
I'm jealous..... and not gonna upload any pictures of my (recently moonscape) pastures.

aaroninga":t2ld448z said:
Sky it looks to me like you got some good grazing on that piece.
I'm jealous..... and not gonna upload any pictures of my (recently moonscape) pastures.

Thanks I do what I can to keep the grass growing... Hey uploading pics isn't bad it can help others give you some data on what you should try to do to improve it ya know.

Well the cattle on that piece are still all these cattle have had is 3 bales of hay due to snow and brewers grain.

IMG_20170211_122301905_zpsaraaj17b.jpg

IMO not too bad for heifers first calves

IMG_20170211_122346350_zpsxmrb8ihh.jpg

IMG_20170211_122338007_zpspv9w7a26.jpg

Latest posts