I just got robbed.

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
My secretary just came into my office and asked me if I had a receipt for a check,$1,960.10, I wrote to a guy named Solomon Hines. I told her I had never heard of the guy. She ran off a copy of the check and it looked nothing like my checks. The only thing right about it was the account number. It even had my name printed on to as it were a personal account. I don't have a personal account.
How the heck can they do that? The check was cashed in Palm Desert, Calf. I called my bank and they told me not to worry that the check would be covered by them and or the bank that cashed it.
I guess Christmas is coming and some folks need the money? :roll:

Good grief!

People ARE desperate, and times are tight for a lot of people.

I would change account numbers, etc. now that someone has attempted to use the one you have.

DavisBeefmasters":smlkq3u8 said:
Good grief!

People ARE desperate, and times are tight for a lot of people.

I would change account numbers, etc. now that someone has attempted to use the one you have.
Good idea. I think I'll call the bank and see if they can do it pretty quick.
Thanks.

But what do I do with the 6 other accounts I have? If the can get the info for this one they obviously can the info for the rest of the accounts.

Did you know that for $29.95, I can buy a check printing software program at Staples or on-line that will allow for me to print checks at my desktop printer?

Did you know that the account number and routing number are all that matters?

Did you know that m.i.c.r. ink is not required for the checks to be accepted by the banks?

Did you know that I can buy a m.i.c.r. printer for less than $100.00 and print even better quality checks?

Did I help your feelings any? :lol:

I doubt Sol is going to stop with just one and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have trouble writing checks in the future at places that use check assure or other check services.

grannysoo":dim9hi0h said:
Did you know that for $29.95, I can buy a check printing software program at Staples or on-line that will allow for me to print checks at my desktop printer?

Did you know that m.i.c.r. ink is not required for the checks to be accepted by the banks?

Did you know that I can buy a m.i.c.r. printer for less than $100.00 and print even better quality checks?

Did I help your feelings any? :lol:

AND...once if you walk it into Nova's bank and IF you have proper ID they cannot refuse to cash the check as long as he has funds in the account to cover the amount of the check.

Thanks guy's I feel a h--- of a lot better now. :roll:
I just got back from the police station, filling a report. Seems like they are getting a couple of these a month. It a small town like this that is a bunch. I cannot possibly imagine how much this happens in the big cities.
Grannysoo. A question comes up in my mind. How do you know all this?

novatech":2xyihd5m said:
I just got back from the police station, filling a report. Seems like they are getting a couple of these a month. It a small town like this that is a bunch. I cannot possibly imagine how much this happens in the big cities.

Should I just say that I know what I know? Would you be satisfied with that answer? Perhaps I print all of my own checks in order not to buy checks from the bank. With several accounts, all it takes it blank check stock paper and you can print from any account you want to.

Have you ever checked to see just how easy it is to print checks?

http://www.g7ps.com/

Did you know that you can give me your checking account and routing number, and I can legally print a check on you with no signature required?

tncattle467":256x83ro said:
novatech":256x83ro said:

DUH!

He is the one that stole your bank roll.

I can rightfully be called many things, however thief is not one of them. Did you know that I do have a valid birth certificate that was issued in the USA, not Nigeria?

grannysoo":3qf68gtl said:
Did the officer you talk to, or your bank, suggest any thing you could do to protect yourself from this in the future? I am thinking it is information we could all use.

Closing that account was a really good idea.

angie":3pcei27i said:
grannysoo":3pcei27i said:
Did the officer you talk to, or your bank, suggest any thing you could do to protect yourself from this in the future? I am thinking it is information we could all use.

Angie - the only answer is to totally eliminate paper checks and go to complete electronic transactions. You know that they are secure, don't you?

After all, it has only been how many names and credit card numbers that have been stolen this year from electronic records and hacking?

Do you know just how much information can be had about you by someone working for the right company that has just a little access to the computer and programs?

Do you know just how easy it is?

With just a little info, I could scare most of you......

angie":2hrcxob6 said:
grannysoo":2hrcxob6 said:

Closing the account is not possible.
I have already given a report to the police. I will also be talking to the FBI. Just waiting for a return call. In the meantime the bank will not honor any out of state checks. Any checks over $500 will be verified before credit is issued. All debit card use will be listed and presented to the bank before they will honor them. I do not own any credit cards. These are something I can get implemented because I deal with a small bank and I know just about everyone in every branch.
Other suggestions I have received.
Contact all of the credit reporting agencies.
Contact check-systems.

Your title is wrong, correct?

It appears to be a case of stolen identity. Was the social security number or driver's license on the check?

HerefordSire":1j9zut3k said:

It appears to be a case of stolen identity. Was the social security number or driver's license on the check?
I might be wrong I don't know. But as far as I am concerned I got robbed. They just used something else besides a gun.
No SS number or drivers license number was on the check. There are very few people that I have ever given my SS number to.
Almost all money transactions are done electronically. Someone stole checks from our mailbox several years ago so we went to paying bills electronically.
The police said that all they had to have is the name of the bank and the numbers on the bottom of the check. They even get sold on the internet.
I remember the days when I could go into a store and fill out a counter check to pay for what I bought. It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago. The modern world sure has it's drawbacks.

novatech":2nsdhtnb said:
HerefordSire":2nsdhtnb said:

I might be wrong I don't know. But as far as I am concerned I got robbed. They just used something else besides a gun.
No SS number or drivers license number was on the check. There are very few people that I have ever given my SS number to.
Almost all money transactions are done electronically. Someone stole checks from our mailbox several years ago so we went to paying bills electronically.
The police said that all they had to have is the name of the bank and the numbers on the bottom of the check. They even get sold on the internet.
I remember the days when I could go into a store and fill out a counter check to pay for what I bought. It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago. The modern world sure has it's drawbacks.

When your checks were stolen several years ago, did you have your social security number or driver's license number on the check?

grannysoo":3oqww7vb said:
So, what's the solution to identity theft? More gobmint controls?

Vigilante justice would be the best solution. Just turn them over to us.

About a year ago I signed us up for that "Lifelock" deal you've heard advertised. It's a bargain at $10 a month! They guarantee against identity theft, and so far we've never had any trouble. We get about 1 credit card application a month, instead of 15 or 20 we used to get. If you make a large purchase, they will call you before the money is deposited. Just one less thing to worry about!

HerefordSire":2wuapw72 said:
When your checks were stolen several years ago, did you have your social security number or driver's license number on the check?
No. The checks were written out and sent to pay bills. They were not signed by me. Nor did they have my name on them.
All my checking accounts have company names on them. Nowhere does my name show up on any paperwork given out to the public, other than my signature. When I cash a check it is always at the same place. They have never asked for any ID. They shouldn't have to after 28 years. Although it is common knowledge that I own my business/s, my name does not appear on any paperwork. Also there is no paper work in the office or on company computers with SS or Driver License numbers on them. I never respond to unsolicited E-mail unless I know the sender. I know of nothing that would indicate that I own that bank account the check was written on.

Doesn't make me want to buy anything online. I don't very much anyway except around the holidays, which is when I'm guessing this stuff peaks. What an odd amount. Why not make it an even number?

Your secretary is good. Get her a bonus.