I just don't understand some people

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Had a friend to call me today to help round up his cattle that went through the fence.
About thirty head.
I figured it wouldn't take to long since he had two boys at home,one 16 and the other 18.
Wrong! when I got there it was just me and him.Took about 6 hrs to get them all back in the pasture and the fence fixed.

I asked him where the boys are and he said they were out last night until about 1 am and he didn't want to bother them. I was so mad I almost told him the next time his cattle get out don't bother me.

Thinking it over it's really no fault of the boys it's all his. But I don't think i'm going to have the time to help him again,i'm gonna be doing something that I can't break away from. :mad: :mad:

I have OH SOOO many responses to this but none are PC..
Hang in there and way to go on getting all the cattle back ,that is the most important thing because it is not their fault their care takers are MENTALY disadvantaged>>>>

I am bad about doing things myself. I like to feed and do other things alone. It is sometimes the only time I get to myself in a day. But you can bet that when something like that happens, I will call the boys into service.

I think I might enjoy inconveniencing them more if they had been out that late.

My cousins are bad about that with their kids. I was just thinking about that tonight. When I was a kid, we jumped at the chance to help the grown ups. It made us feel trusted. My cousins act like sending their kids outdoors to play is a bad thing. As a result, their kids are fat, pasty and really useless.

I was out in the rain yesterday cleaning a clogged downspout. Then I found one of my son's tennis balls in there. Guess who is cleaning out gutters this weekend?

I have been there myself. Can't understand people that treat their children this way. Heck, my dad was completely different. The few times I was brave enough to go past curfew normally resulted in dad putting me to work on some dirty detail that required me clothed and ready by 6:00 a.m and the job was usually hot and noisy. I sure am glad he was so "mean" to me cause there is no telling what gutter I'd be in today if it wasn't for his "abuse".

I ran into something simular last year. A guy I used to work with was going through a divorce and had both his son's (17 and 18 yrs old). He was a having some money problems and was complaining about how much it was going to cost him to get the brakes fixed on his son's car. I told him if he'd buy the parts that I would fix them and show him how. He was retired from the Navy and I enjoyed listening to his stories so I figured I'd have a little fun while helping a buddy. I got over there and we worked on the brakes for a couple hours. After a test spin, we went inside to get cleaned up and grab a beer and both his sons were playing video games while we were working on THEIR car. That really burned me up! I never told him how pi$$ed I was but I've not worked on anything else over there either. Sorry about the vent but your story reminded me of how that felt. Anyhow, I'm sure alot of you all have experienced something along the same lines.

f150fatboy

I've been in that same situation . For some reason far too many have forgotten how to raise boys . A boy needs a boot up his butt every once in a while if he's gonna amount to anything . When I was young I never had a curfew, but starting time was starting time . If you had 8 hours sleep or 15 minutes it didn't matter starting time was starting time .

Larry

I don't blame you for being mad.
Caught a program with a news person interviewing a college graduate. I was completely floored when the grad told the interviewer that it would be nice if their employers would send letters to their parents praising the way the parents raised them.
Excuse me?
This person also saw nothing wrong with having 4 or 5 jobs in a year. Most of these grads they showed in the work place looked worse then I do after a long day branding and they were in an office.

My son really likes it when we ask for his help in getting jobs done. He feels really proud of himself.
Especially when we turn him loose and don't stand over his shoulder, shows our trust in him.

Dad always said if you was man enough to do the deed you should be man enough not to whine about it. In other word get your butt up and come on we got work to do.

at the age of 19 I will make this post...

I wish that was my dad :lol2: . I would have grown up the luckiest guy alive haha. Just joshin with you guys. I bet those boys wont know how to work hard and wont get very far.

Well I am just a "girl" but... growing up it was just my big sister and I. Being " of the weaker" gender I do not ever remember being given a break EVER<><< I would babysit until 3 in the morn ( at 11 years old) and Dad would get my but up at six am to go to the rentals and mow lawn, ect.

Gender has nothing to do with it, and I am glad that the work ethic was bred into me because during calving season there is no such thing as a "day off".

And this is coming from a city girl who became a country girl because of her hubby,,... :tiphat:

Now I am off to feed babies..

I grew up on a river bottom farm in the missouri ozarks. Three boys and 2 girls and we all had to work as soon as we were old enough. Me and my brothers would actually compete against each other working. I will never forget my dad at 5am every morning yelling to us,"Boys get up and pay for that bed".I think that bed was made of solid gold. I'm 65 yrs old and still paying on it.
I'm sure glad I was raised to work though,I wouldnt have it any other way.

Before I retired i told my boss about my dad's saying every morning,and his reply was,"I don't know if your dad knew it or not but he sure done me a favor".

But on the other hand I don't work near as hard as I use to.Takes me just a tad bit longer to get anything done.

Cal

Cal
Nothing erks me more than lazy kids. My children would have been out there in a heart beat. There is no doubt in my mind about that. :cboy:
My son is a real big computor nerd, but he gets all his work done and then some. There is no reason they can't enjoy both.
Kids today are out of control, just sit in your childs classroom for the day, what a joke. :shock:
These are my children, hard at work building the steer pen :D

Just a few pic's to show you some kids work hard :D

I luv herfrds said:
This person also saw nothing wrong with having 4 or 5 jobs in a year. Most of these grads they showed in the work place looked worse then I do after a long day branding and they were in an office.

quote]

My step daughter changes jobs that frequently. What floors me is that she'll get a job and then want a holiday off, and she'll usually get it! I told her that when she gets a real job, she won't be able to do that. Not and have any kind of relationship with her co-workers who have been there longer. She thinks that she should be able to have time off whenever she wants it. That is why I believe she'll never make a lawyer. They have to work too hard for too many hours.
And she's 28 - long past the point where she is a princess.

i tell you 1 thing i was sure raised to work.if the cows was i went an chased them.an fixxed the fence if i could.if i stayed out late.i still had to get up an get to work.no matter how tired i was.

My proudest moment as a parent came a few years ago when my oldest son, who was in the Airforce at the time asked me for an operation for his 21st birthday.

My first response was what's wrong with you. He says nuthin: I was just hoping to get your foot removed from my A$$ sometime soon. Musta worked he got out a year later and graduated from CSU 5 yrs after that with an accounting degree.

I asked him about a year ago how his job was going(with Wells Fargo Financial) his reply didn't surprise me. He said he and a kid who grew up on a nearby farm were the only ones who ever came in early and left late. The others just watched the clock.

This is a society problem. Kids these days don't know how to work, mainly because their parents don't make them. About the time I graduated high school, it got horribly hard to find 3-4 guys to help put up hay. That's why we bought an accumulator. Brother and I do it all ourselves now.

I was the youngest of 3 boys, and I always tried to work harder than they did, just to prove myself. Dad didn't have to prod us, we all knew what needed done and we did it.

The only thing I know is work, but I figure that work ethic will get me to where I want to go someday.

I'm a 17 year old girl and that never happens to me, my dad has me go do work for people without asking if I want to. It doesn't bother me that much, but I'd like to know more than 5 minutes in advance about what I have to do. Hard work is in my blood, during the summer I don't really remember many nights that I got over 3 hrs of sleep. WHen I'm not baling hay/straw for my dad or my own hay, I'm out working for one of my uncles or neighbors. Not to many people would want to get in a fight with me....including one of my older brothers. :D :cboy:

All ya gotta do is drive by someones place and ya can tell right off if they're lazy or not.

Cal