I have a plan, hopefully

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Been breeding my crossbred herd with a RA, great bull, easy calving, and is throwing some great heifers. I can't seem to bring up any herd pics, but they are in here somewhere, maybe some help? Anyway, kept 3 heifers last year bred back to him, not calved yet, due next month. This years crop,need a bull, and I was hoping to have a new one before now, but I am going to let him breed them also. With a bull change next year, and expansion on the horizon, I only wish I had more of his girls.

https://www.progressivecattle.com/news/industry-news/american-red-program-to-meet-needs-of-the-american-producer After I posted this, I went to another sight and found this.

snoopdog this pic was on your profile of your herd. is this the help you meant?

did i understand you to say you are breeding heifers to their sire?

sounds like you will have 3 generations of ladies from the same sire. My feeling is that there are plenty of great bulls out there and using the same bull for that long is not improving your herd genetics. Find a new sire that improves traits that you feel need a little help and start improving. If those are your cows in ccr's post, looks like you doing a good job already. keep it going in the right direction.

Ill be going to a redA bull this year and try to get my herd more uniform. That program looks exciting after i get a good brood stock foundation. Hopefully itll be around in a few years. Would the gert over angus be a more terminal cross?

ccr said:
snoopdog this pic was on your profile of your herd. is this the help you meant?

did i understand you to say you are breeding heifers to their sire?
Thanks for the pic, sometimes I feel helpless when it comes to the photos, I don't post many. The grandaughters will be terminal.

Dsth said:
sounds like you will have 3 generations of ladies from the same sire. My feeling is that there are plenty of great bulls out there and using the same bull for that long is not improving your herd genetics. Find a new sire that improves traits that you feel need a little help and start improving. If those are your cows in ccr's post, looks like you doing a good job already. keep it going in the right direction.
Thanks, the 3rd gen will all be terminal. I just need to use him now, to keep production up, and because he is a great lbw bull.

Hardin Farms said:
Ill be going to a redA bull this year and try to get my herd more uniform. That program looks exciting after i get a good brood stock foundation. Hopefully itll be around in a few years. Would the gert over angus be a more terminal cross?
I don't think so, the way the program is laid out in the article. Now, In my opinion, some hereford influence is the key to this. Hence, my plan. I don't plug any breed, but I think this will work for the southern producer.

Latest posts