I have a dumb question

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
Ok, I am not new to cattle-we have raised cattle for all of the almost 16 yrs we have been married, but recently the kids have started buying heifers to show. Obviously, these heifers are alot easier to handle and we can get alot closer to them and observe them easier(by no means are our commercial cattle wild or crazy, but you can't just walk up to them and rub them either). Now for my question-If a heifer is not bred, can you get a milk like substance out of their udder? (told you it was a dumb question) We have recently moved, so we haven't gotten to AI our heifers on schedule. We have been having trouble catching one heifer in heat, although I thought I caught her in heat a few weeks ago, but the guy that AI's them for us was out of town. Tonight I was out there with them and petting one of them. Her bag is looking like it is developing a little (definately not alot), and I actually got a stream of milk? out of her. To our knowledge she hasn't been with a bull as we keep them seperated from the other cows and we didn't even have a bull on the place until June. I told you this was a dumb question and I hate to sound like a greenhorn. Just be kind, please! Thanks. :oops: :oops:

Showmo, as I am from Ar also I will answer as of my experience. Yes, you can get the liquid you described from a heifer. I do not know why, if you should or if it is normal. If you get a beating for asking I will also.
MilkMaid is the person I hope will respond to this question.

showmomof2":lo4ie820 said:
Now for my question-If a heifer is not bred, can you get a milk like substance out of their udder? (told you it was a dumb question)

Logic would say no, since milk production is a direct result of pregnancy. But, on the other hand, logic tends to fly in the presence of hormones.

We have been having trouble catching one heifer in heat, although I thought I caught her in heat a few weeks ago, but the guy that AI's them for us was out of town. Tonight I was out there with them and petting one of them. Her bag is looking like it is developing a little (definately not alot), and I actually got a stream of milk? out of her.

False pregnancy, maybe? Perhaps cystic ovaries? One should not have an effect of the other, but the other will definitely have an effect on the one. Have you had her checked by a vet? If not, you might want to think about doing so. Hormones are a funny thing, and they can cause things to happen that defy logic.

To our knowledge she hasn't been with a bull as we keep them seperated from the other cows and we didn't even have a bull on the place until June. I told you this was a dumb question and I hate to sound like a greenhorn. Just be kind, please! Thanks. :oops: :oops:

Not a dumb question, and you don't sound like a greenhorn! I think my first step would be to have her checked by a vet - he/she should be able to answer the questions of pregnant, cystic, and/or false pregnancy, as well as any other questions you might have regarding this heifer.

yes you can get moisture or as we call it honey out of their teats.that shows that all 4 teats are open.sometimes an open heifer will get fluid in her bagg.ive seen it meny times over the last 36yrs.

I question why anyone would want to open up the teat canal on a heifer this long before calving

dun":193afn0p said:
I question why anyone would want to open up the teat canal on a heifer this long before calving

Good point. I really don't know the answer to the question -- because I don't ever deliberately check anything that's not lactating (with the exception of dry cows with mastitis). Only once have I stripped a heifer prior to calving, and that was because she came in the milking barn and I thought she was fresh. :p

anytime ive bought bred or springing heifers.they have always been teated to make sure all 4 teats are open.an if i had any qs i could teat or have some1 teat them before loading them.i be ticked off if i bought a heifer that wasnt teated an she was a 3 teater.

msscamp":3epy7u5i said:
showmomof2":3epy7u5i said:
Now for my question-If a heifer is not bred, can you get a milk like substance out of their udder? (told you it was a dumb question)

Logic would say no, since milk production is a direct result of pregnancy. But, on the other hand, logic tends to fly in the presence of hormones.

We have been having trouble catching one heifer in heat, although I thought I caught her in heat a few weeks ago, but the guy that AI's them for us was out of town. Tonight I was out there with them and petting one of them. Her bag is looking like it is developing a little (definately not alot), and I actually got a stream of milk? out of her.

False pregnancy, maybe? Perhaps cystic ovaries? One should not have an effect of the other, but the other will definitely have an effect on the one. Have you had her checked by a vet? If not, you might want to think about doing so. Hormones are a funny thing, and they can cause things to happen that defy logic.

To our knowledge she hasn't been with a bull as we keep them seperated from the other cows and we didn't even have a bull on the place until June. I told you this was a dumb question and I hate to sound like a greenhorn. Just be kind, please! Thanks. :oops: :oops:

Not a dumb question, and you don't sound like a greenhorn! I think my first step would be to have her checked by a vet - he/she should be able to answer the questions of pregnant, cystic, and/or false pregnancy, as well as any other questions you might have regarding this heifer.

I have to aggree 100% msscamp. Usually their is a fluid in the udder as has been said like a syrup texture, however milk/colostrum appears 72-48hrs before calving. I posted on this before that milk/colostrum in the udder is a good indicator to how far from calving a cow is.
Now this being a heifer and that you are unsure she is bred the best option would be to have herd health done on her .

It is not very common for a heifer to have a blocked teat unless she was raised in awfully dirty conditions ,was subjected to very cold temps while her mammary system was developing or her teats do not close properly and leak. I don't remember ever checking bred heifers teats before buying them or selling them, fresh cows/heifers yes and they always had a scc done, but that does not mean that it is not done though.

I wouldn't get to worried about her until you get a definitive answer from your vet.

You are right, hillsdown. Don't get worried until you get a report from your vet, but I would definitely check with a Vet. Just to reasure you, if nothing else! And under the circumstances, I understand your angst. You don't want ANYTHING to upset the applecart for your kids! Right?

Don't worry!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts