I hate wild cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Especially when you've got to chase them home that's a mile away (or more, in some cases), they've jumped the fence during a particularly bad thunderstorm (result of having the top half of a spruce tree fall on them), have a flight zone of 50 feet and are panic-striken, haven't been home, or near home, in 9 hours, there's road construction going on not a quater of a mile away, and the neighbour's cows and bulls are distracting them by coming up to see whats going on.

Oh yeah, and it's too blamed muddy to drive a truck (or even a quad) and you've gotta walk, AND your in the neighbor's GPS-seeded, weed-free, barley field. So I think by know you have a good idea of what I mean.

Well, that's all that was against us when I was trying to help bring four escapees home. ALL four of them where wild (not the type that would let you touch them with a 50-foot pole), and no matter what, they took off at a dead run, leaving us behind to walk to catch up to them. And we did not want to run them either.

So. No quad (don't own one b/c it's not needed hardly), no truck. But walking. We caught up to them, over a half-mile later, when they were cornered beside the neighbor's pasture, with trees behind them, an electric fence on one side, us on the other, and no other direction to go forward. Again, they ran. But apparently, the electric fence wasn't electrified.

And they went right through it. To join the neighbor's cow herd instead, leaving us behind with nothing else to do but to phone the owner and let them know they got four extra cattle in their herd, and fix fence.

No word yet when we'll see them again, but I'm guessing we'll probably we'll get them back at the end of the grazing season.

Now, these four steers: 3 of them were bulls that had to be sent to the vet a few months ago, and the fourth an animal with a shoulder abscess. All four of these I posted about on here. All four I had to separate from main herd for their own medical reasons. All four, at some level or other, have this thing of giving me, mom, or dad, the deer-in-the-headlights-look whenever we're near them or with them. All four have ("temporarily") moved away.

Good thing there's more tamer ones that I can mess around with and be with more than them.

That sounds like one bad day. Sorry about your luck. Couldnt the people just get their cows up and yours would follow, then get them in the loadin chute?

Mongoose":1jqx6yc7 said:
That sounds like one bad day. Sorry about your luck. Couldnt the people just get their cows up and yours would follow, then get them in the loadin chute?

That would only be if we were in a big hurry to get them back. Since we're not, and if they're not disturbing the cow herd, then that's a different story.

Thanks. Oh yeah, not only that but I had to help check our crops the same day to see how bad hail damage was. :( Canola was the worst. At least we didn't get COMPLETELY hailed out: it was close though.

IluvABbeef":1cxtqis8 said:
Bez>":1cxtqis8 said:
Time for gold fish again?

Bez>

:lol: :lol: Bez, why do the heck you keep askin'? NO, of course not!!

Because I laugh at people like you and Beefy who say they hate ___ cattle.

I know you do not - but if you truly did - gold fish always stay penned up!!!

I am sure I will have an opportunity to ask again.

Regards

Bez>

Bez>":1gpwb8l6 said:
IluvABbeef":1gpwb8l6 said:
Bez>":1gpwb8l6 said:

Bez>

I'm sure you will. ;-) :lol:

Regards

Same to you

Bez>

actually i had a friend whos goldfish committed suicide one time. a few of my fish have attempted it before but somehow i manage to save them. the dog even chewed on one one time and it still lived. man i bet that fish hates people.

Beefy":3kf95lo3 said:
actually i had a friend whos goldfish committed suicide one time. a few of my fish have attempted it before but somehow i manage to save them. the dog even chewed on one one time and it still lived. man i bet that fish hates people.

Wondered if you would poke your head in the door.

8)

Bez>

I hate goldfish. That ugly sizzle sound they make when you brand them puts me off. Don;t swim worth spit afterwards either and they're too small to eat.

dun":9f522y5y said:
I hate goldfish. That ugly sizzle sound they make when you brand them puts me off. Don;t swim worth spit afterwards either and they're too small to eat.
Put em on a high fat diet and then try freeze branding....works for me...

sidney411":z56si6qk said:
They jump out of the bowl. I've had them do that, fish can be frusterating too.

But at least they'll fit down the toilet

Sorry for the luck. I've done that very same thing and it gets me to thinking, 'Golf, why don't you just bail out of this and play golf everyday'. It passes though. On the plus side, you could be doing that in 96 degree heat with about 89% humidity. I know that's not much comfort.

Good Luck
Dick

Bez>":3rn2nvmo said:
IluvABbeef":3rn2nvmo said:
Bez>":3rn2nvmo said:

Bez>

Regards

Bez>

I beg to differ. I put 27 new goldfish in my water trough yesterday and 26 of them died. I have the original 5 still in there from the 26 I put in three years ago.

Twenty-six funerals... :oops: :shock:

We used to stick small bluegill in he tanks. Coons would spend hours balancing on the rim and would clean them out in a couple of days.

Latest posts