I Hate Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
Love every part of the year except for weaning. Seperated the calves from their mama's on Wednesday, all okay yesterday, but today they busted out. How do 500 or 600 lb calves go through a tight, six strand fence, with two strands of HOT wire?

TennesseeTuxedo":2rzf14s9 said:
Ol' 243":2rzf14s9 said:
Love every part of the year except for weaning. Seperated the calves from their mama's on Wednesday, all okay yesterday, but today they busted out. How do 500 or 600 lb calves go through a tight, six strand fence, with two strands of HOT wire?

They run.

That would be my guess as well.

I corral the entire herd for 5 days or so at weaning time.. bawl, pace, do whatever you want, you ain't getting out!

Downside to this is my bedroom is 40 feet from the corral, and I don't sleep for a while

Fenceline weaning with a good hotwire between the mommas and the babies. Unless they are really spooked by something chasing them they won;;t go through the hotwire. If something is chasing them bad enough for them to go through it, I don;t think a 6 foot wall would stop them.

dun":1o5poo3e said:
Fenceline weaning with a good hotwire between the mommas and the babies. Unless they are really spooked by something chasing them they won;;t go through the hotwire. If something is chasing them bad enough for them to go through it, I don;t think a 6 foot wall would stop them.

Uhmmmm, 6 strands of good wire, two strands of hot. Fenceline weaning, normally super quiet cattle, spend lots of time with them. Something must have boogered them really good, two made it through.

I like weaning time, means I'm getting close to a check. We use a 7 acre pen with a 10 barb fence and stays every few feet. Mama's across the fence for the first few days. Then move the cows as far away as is convenient.

If you don't mind a little advice, take this as a learning experience, and next time keep them behind a good board or pipe fence for at least a few days. As you've learned, barbed wire and electricity don't mean much if they want out.

Rafter S":3kn8yuha said:
If you don't mind a little advice, take this as a learning experience, and next time keep them behind a good board or pipe fence for at least a few days. As you've learned, barbed wire and electricity don't mean much if they want out.
I guess we're going to have to change from a single strand of temporary poliwire, that's all we;ve used for 15 years and only had one escape. The little turd crawled on her belly like a goat to get under the wire. Put her back and she didn;t do it again.

dun":3m8lm9ps said:
Rafter S":3m8lm9ps said:
I guess we're going to have to change from a single strand of temporary poliwire, that's all we;ve used for 15 years and only had one escape. The little turd crawled on her belly like a goat to get under the wire. Put her back and she didn;t do it again.

I stand properly chastised.

Rafter S":rnpt002v said:
dun":rnpt002v said:
Rafter S":rnpt002v said:

You better have calves seriously conditioned to hot wire to get away with that.

TennesseeTuxedo":2d6if8jf said:
Rafter S":2d6if8jf said:
dun":2d6if8jf said:

Ours are behind hotwire from birth

dun":3uzmwxkf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3uzmwxkf said:
Rafter S":3uzmwxkf said:

Ours are behind hotwire from birth

I knew that was most likely the case. Try it that way with calves who have had limited contact with a hot wire and you'll have problems.

dun":kkdvhbw2 said:
Rafter S":kkdvhbw2 said:
What height do you put the wire?

RanchMan90":2itfpe5j said:
dun":2itfpe5j said:
Rafter S":2itfpe5j said:
What height do you put the wire?
28-30 inches

Latest posts