i hate it when

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We've been losing chickens left and right lately. Down to just a rooster now. So, we've been setting traps for the dang things getting them, and as suspected its coons. So far we've got 2, one of which was rather large, and a possum. Got one of the coons this am, and I went out to the trap with the 22 mag in hand, and put it down. I forgot I had hp's in it and got a fair amount of splatter if you will. Wife won't kiss me, dogs love me, and everytime I walk near the cows their noses go up and ears go back...maybe I should take a shower now.....did I mention I HATE coons

I had a big problem with the migration of the Cooper's hawk. They cleaned me out except for one extremely paranoid rooster but undoubtedly he wasn't paranoid enough. And yes, they were really after him.

hooknline":22f89280 said:
We've been losing chickens left and right lately. Down to just a rooster now. So, we've been setting traps for the dang things getting them, and as suspected its coons. So far we've got 2, one of which was rather large, and a possum. Got one of the coons this am, and I went out to the trap with the 22 mag in hand, and put it down. I forgot I had hp's in it and got a fair amount of splatter if you will. Wife won't kiss me, dogs love me, and everytime I walk near the cows their noses go up and ears go back...maybe I should take a shower now.....did I mention I HATE coons

My money is on them possums......

Kingfisher":yhgb8too said:
hooknline":yhgb8too said:

A few of the chickens only had their heads ate up. I know we had eggs come up missing....but I'm thinking coons

hooknline":2vkoyydj said:
Kingfisher":2vkoyydj said:
hooknline":2vkoyydj said:

A few of the chickens only had their heads ate up. I know we had eggs come up missing....but I'm thinking coons
Head eat up is skunks ifn' I 'member right Sucking blood. Coon will carry em off a piece and eat there fill and possom will eat it where it is leaving the bones. or maybe that's the other way around. Housecats will eat where the killem or carry off.

Very very few skunks round here. Wife seen a coon on top of the coop a few weeks ago when she pulled in after youth night at church....pretty sure its coons. Sure doesn't help that the city trappers dump their trappings out here.

All ya need is one to cause a problem...

Young polts or grown chickens?

Somthing drinking the blood, coons and possoms are going to eat on the carcus too. Weasles or ferrets maybe?

All growd up layers. Got thru very small gap in the chicken wire. Just big enough for a small coon or possum.The gap was up high, and had dirt on it like a hog rubs on a pine. We'll keep the trap baited and catch and dispatch everything it catches..I'm tired of losing good laying chickens..and its always in the spring

I lost a duck that was setting on a large nest of eggs. Set my trap and got a few skunks.
Caught one, but was busy and asked hubby to dispatch it.
A .357 is not the weapon of choice to use.
Whenever we got a north wind the whole house stunk.

I had to put my last pair of guineas back in with the chickens.

I had an owl the size of a rotweiler picking em off at night.

i really liked having the guineas run loose and they do help with the bugs and ticks.

Spring time I would lose hens with they nested in the wild. I have had little luck with getting them to ever set a nest when in the pen. So far this spring the hen has not laid an egg that I have found.

My four chickens are producing well. sometimes four eggs per day.

Three step treatment for critters like coons' and possums. One can fly bait, one can of coke, mixed in a shallow pan. They love to drink it. They take three steps afterwards and die. Cats and dogs won't drink it. gs

We have the same problem here in Alabama. We hav'nt saw or smelled a skunk. I killed one large opossum. I shot at the Racoons but hav'nt killed one yet. We did see a Red Fox with two pups around the chicken house. We have no chickens left. I'am working on rebuilding the chicken house and pen.

Chickens here have been turned into about every kind of turd you can imagine. The bantams faird pretty well free range nothing else not even the guinnea's. Never did figure out what was getting the guinnea's

Possums cleand out all my chickens 4 yrs ago. I sat and watched a possum on top of the pen lift up the chicken wire until he found a week spot and then attempted to crawl through.That was when he became history.

Cal

We had a red fox a few years ago getting them when we let them free range. She didn't last long against the 17hmr at 200 yds. That was the last one we've seen. Bobcats, dogs, coon, possums..they're all the same in my book..DOA. For us chickens don't pencil out..the dang eggs are cheaper at the store. But the wife likes em...I got the cows, she got the chickens

We had problems with hawks and fox. One shot near the hawk to scare it away (can't kill technically) took care of that. The fox got 3 hens and a rooster one night. Next day I took the dog to where the feathers were left, and she caught the scent of the fox. Now she goes crazy any time one even steps foot in the yard. She thinks she's pretty bada$$ now, even though she's a Corgi and is shorter than half the fox around here.

Hawks got most of mine. Not that I minded at that point.

Sometimes I think I want chickens again, but then I remember toting waterers, stepping on chicken shite and how nasty the eggs were when it was muddy.

I'm good.

I've lost several in the past. Many hawks around here . Steel trap on top of a 14 foot post works well if they are a problem . Most of what I lost was to skunks .

plumber_greg":33or5dg9 said:
Three step treatment for critters like coons' and possums. One can fly bait, one can of coke, mixed in a shallow pan. They love to drink it. They take three steps afterwards and die. Cats and dogs won't drink it. gs

Really? What the heck is in that fly bait?

i got a wild dog round here that is like a spook..speaking of poison...this american bulldog stray has eaten enuff rat poison to kill a cow..and keeps comin back for more...cannot for the life of me get a decent shot at him...