I Gotta Get Better

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I have had my heifer in the nursery for 4 days now (or maybe 5, I forget) because she was showing some of "the signs." She was not showing "the signs" she was jacking with my emotions and sleep. Her vulva would swell and I would think this was the day, then it stopped and the next day it would swell a little more. Then the discharge, then it stopped and the next day a little more discharge. The nervous pacing and getting up and down was all a plot to have me awake and out there at 4 am just for her to look at me like WTH you doing here this time of morning? I'm getting too old for heifers.

Ha, my wife says that as soon as I say it's any day now, she figures two more weeks. :lol:

I've got a first calf heifer that should be any day now.

slick4591":3hgbxivd said:
I have had my heifer in the nursery for 4 days now (or maybe 5, I forget) because she was showing some of "the signs." She was not showing "the signs" she was jacking with my emotions and sleep. Her vulva would swell and I would think this was the day, then it stopped and the next day it would swell a little more. Then the discharge, then it stopped and the next day a little more discharge. The nervous pacing and getting up and down was all a plot to have me awake and out there at 4 am just for her to look at me like WTH you doing here this time of morning? I'm getting too old for heifers.

Slick, all I watch now is for those sunken spots to show up around the tail head..once those tendons relax, birth is usually with in 12 hours in my experience. Believe me, I have had heifers penned for over a week because I was 'certain' they were do; only to be fooled by swollen vulva, or bagging.

Yes, I've seen that. Now I'm seeing it again. My Pieds are know for larger calves and that's why I'm fretting over them. I don't worry about the cows near this much.

Heifers!! I'm officially DONE as of this morning calving out heifers for this year and I feel your pain. My last one: no "stringers"/mucus, looked pretty darn swollen - until 2 hours later when her tail would be laying flat. Her bag & teats are tiny so couldn't tell if she was baggin' up (and believe me, I got up close 'n personal - extremely docile). A watched pot never boils. Until you get lax & it boils over. Remind me again why I retain heifers every year? On the bright side, only one pull because the calf was sideways/mal presentation, all mamas/calves are doing great and I can now sleep through the night.

I must not have poked myself in the eye enough times when I was a child. I have a heifer in the weaning pasture that I'll breed in the fall and I have money down on one (maybe two) bred heifers I'll pick up early summer. See...I think the plan is being dead by the time I have only cows to worry about.

slick4591":22okqq82 said:
I must not have poked myself in the eye enough times when I was a child. I have a heifer in the weaning pasture that I'll breed in the fall and I have money down on one (maybe two) bred heifers I'll pick up early summer. See...I think the plan is being dead by the time I have only cows to worry about.

:lol2: :lol2:

2018 will be the first year I won't be calving any heifers, since 2013, and that's okay with me. ;-)

Have one right now that is driving me crazy. Has been super swollen for two weeks. Big udder, discharge everywhere and she acts like nothing is wrong. Can dive you nuts, but a watched cow never calves.

I'm all done with my heifers!

Remember, the watched pot never calves, er, the watched cow never boils. dangit, you get the point!

The problem is I NEED to be there when she starts. She's a full blood with some great genetics that I'm consolidating using a grandson over her. She was a $1k embryo calf that I've raised and have been looking for this day since the day she was born.

M-5":3cv31ahn said:
How close are you one breed date ?? IIRC you induce them from time to time so if she is withing the window just speed things up.

This girl was pasture bred. I never saw her with any signs of heat, which is why it's a guessing game.

slick4591-you need a MooCall or CowCall or one of those monitor things that lets you know. My heifers this year are a disappointment. I didn't have a good preg check with them-too many opens-the bull tested good-and now they are really strung out. One a week. I let my guard down and had one calve early yesterday morning. Calf was dead and she won't get up. Won't eat or drink. I expect her to get up during the night, stagger over to the pond and fall in. Might as well shoot her now?

I checked into that a couple of years ago and cell/internet is sketchy at the farm. I'd have a camera setup if I could get internet at the barn. Sorry for your troubles. Maybe she will rebound.

Chocolate Cow2":1qcbqsik said:
slick4591-you need a MooCall or CowCall or one of those monitor things that lets you know. My heifers this year are a disappointment. I didn't have a good preg check with them-too many opens-the bull tested good-and now they are really strung out. One a week. I let my guard down and had one calve early yesterday morning. Calf was dead and she won't get up. Won't eat or drink. I expect her to get up during the night, stagger over to the pond and fall in. Might as well shoot her now?

No, give her some time. Make sure she has water & food available, as in right next to her. You may even have to drench her and she probably has a pinched nerve. Dex usually helps.

Sorry about the disappointing results with your heifers.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been giving her Dex and she does have food & water. She tried to get up today, actually stood for a couple of seconds. I expect she'll stand soon and probably try to attack me. :lol2:

Finally. Big heifer around 110 to 115 was the hardest pull I've had to date. Took mom a little while to get her feet but was mothering it when I left.