I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks you guys so much for your advice. I know there are two sides to every story and you're only getting mine.
Can I assume none of you use propane cannons to keep coyotes away from your herd?
From my research, it seems coyotes get habituated to the noise and it does nothing at all. I mean, there are coyotes around airports.
The county wouldn't do anything about the cannon, as to why this is in court.
I found a similar case in Pasco county. It was a whole neighborhood against an orchard, who was actually using the cannon for birds, during the day.
My problem, I can do all the research in the world but, I'm not an, 'expert.'
The courts already have my money, so if the judge goes against me, I'm out more than the bond.
What questions would you ask about this calf, if you were in my shoes? Some things that only a real rancher would know.
Thanks again.

You seem like a decent guy on here and urban encroachment is a problem in some areas. Locals tend to get sideways with new neighbors and try to harrass or intimidate them . These issues typically come up with a property line dispute. Most intimidation is with smells like hogs or poultry or plowing at night . If this guy is truly local and uses the right to farm as his defense your screwed Imo. Good luck

This sounds like fraud. The motive is to obtain your property at less than market value and the coyote conspiracy is a misleading front to force you to bow to their objective.

May I recommend an expert witness? Find someone who can differentiate good coyotes from bad coyotes. Just kidding. That is an inside joke.

If you have the resources, I would look into a Civil Fraud Suit. This neighbor clearly is misrepresenting the real circumstances to the court. I doubt coyotes have killed a single calf.

CabinetMaker":3azpoi4m said:
Thanks you guys so much for your advice. I know there are two sides to every story and you're only getting mine.
Can I assume none of you use propane cannons to keep coyotes away from your herd?
From my research, it seems coyotes get habituated to the noise and it does nothing at all. I mean, there are coyotes around airports.
I found a similar case in Pasco county. It was a whole neighborhood against an orchard, who was actually using the cannon for birds, during the day.
The courts already have my money, so if the judge goes against me, I'm out more than the bond.
What questions would you ask about this calf, if you were in my shoes? Some things that only a real rancher would know.
Thanks again.

Lots of reading here..may help..may hurt

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... ber=630969

CabinetMaker":3e386gvh said:
Thanks again.

Its total nonsense. Cannons do not work.

Ask for proof the calf did not died from a sickness or some thing else. Also ask if he can prove that it was a coyote and not a dog, cat, hog or any other animal that would eat a calf.

Problem is they haven't even started screwing with you yet. Your in a bad spot the cannon is nothing compared to them raising hogs a 100' from your door. I know someone who had bad neighbors from up north, they'd call the cops every time his dogs barked. Skunk Screen in their carpets made the house uninhabitable. I imagine a hog pen a 100' away would cause the same problem.

Bring in your state's wildlife person (under subpoena if need be) as that info is very important. Also, if you can get the ex-neighbor in that would show a continuous course of harassment to get to their objective.

Civil Fraud Suit. If you file a suit, you will file as the victim and they will stand as the accused. Turn the tables on them. I think all these factors apply.

1. Misrepresentation of a material fact
2. Knowledge on the part of the accused that they were misrepresenting the fact
3.The misrepresentation was made purposefully, with the intent of fooling the victim
4. The victim believed the misrepresentation and relied upon it
5.The victim suffered damages as a result of the misrepresentation.

Thanks so much. I hadn't thought of all that. That's why I asked you guys. I guess I have more reading to do.

Fraud civil suit sounds good. They have lied so far on the paper work and about everything else.

Yup. They are claiming the, 'Right to farm act.' (Not in the cannon/coyote case.)
We also have an expanded case that is going to trial. The right to farm, doesn't give the right to harass.
Actually, this property was here before they were. They have expanded their main business on top of us, as to why they want our property too. They bought out all the other land owners completely around us. We are like the little house in the city, surrounded by the skyscrapers.
I couldn't imagine a hog farm that close. Some people are really....

do you have an attorney if not I would be getting one. second thing never talk to people like this with out a small pocket recorder. If everything you have said is true and you had it recorded I think you could walk into a court or the news media and make it hard on him. I deal with lots of people and that is one of the most important tools I own.

Is your court case in Small Claims? Is the Judge a friend of your neighbors? If you retain an Attorney, that's going to cost you more than the dead calve. I wish you the best of luck,

The problem is that if you pay for one calf the precedence is set, and you'll likely end up buying all future dead calves.
Sounds like he needs the fear of God put into him.

when you go the judge.. ask if a full autopsy has been performed on that dead calf. THAT is your expert witness.

Silver":33rq7u50 said:
The problem is that if you pay for one calf the precedence is set, and you'll likely end up buying all future dead calves.
Sounds like he needs the fear of God put into him.

Just as stated, you pay for one...they'll be bringing a calf a week. They'll be gathering calves from everywhere to let you pay! Stop them before it starts. An attorney would be much less cost then what they will deal you.

kerley":3jx30o16 said:
Is your court case in Small Claims? Is the Judge a friend of your neighbors? If you retain an Attorney, that's going to cost you more than the dead calve. I wish you the best of luck,
some thing you do ,even if it cost you more, because its the right thing to do

Latest posts