I can't believe this happened

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
I was scared of a cow. She calved about 1/2 hour previous, there was a problem with another day old calf and momma. The calves were getting confused, and momma pushing calves away. This new calf was having a hard time sucking cause the bag was a dropy suit case. How she made it passed the culling i don't know but any how..
Hubby wanted to get her into the barn. She had that wild look in her eyes, and that funky upper lip look. We got within 10 feet of her and i headed for the hills. She was not charging but I was stinken freaked out. Guess that happens when you nearly get killed by a cow. I went to the cabin and got my baseball bat. Poor hubby I was as useless as a milk bag on a bull.
I'd better pull myself together or i won't be any good this year. Tagging bagging no problem. Handle a soon to be new or new mother... :oops:

I was raised on a dairy and was in and around those big old holsteins from the time I could walk, I guess. Not one time did I ever, ever, ever feel afraid...'cause not one time did any one of them do anything to make me afraid. Soooooooo, I just assumed all bovines were alike! Ha, ha, ha, on my dumb a$$!

I now know what that eye and lip thing is, darlin'...and that means get the heck outta the way. Your instincts are there for a reason, and you followed your instincts, and good on you for it!

Alice

do not be sorry for freaking out around a wildeyed cow.i to have freaked out at wildeyed cows.an im not ashamed of it.the older ive gotten the slower i move.an i dang sure wont take chances like i would 20yrs ago.but do not get scared to the point the cows know it.

We have a heifer that freaks me out. I never turn my back on here. She's come running at me more than once. We can't get her loaded, she freaks at pens, so we may be stuck with her. I saw an ad, at the feed store, for vaqueros that were advertising that they would come rope and load cattle. Tempting and a good show to boot. Steve's too stoved up to move fast. It's me she hates anyway.

Lammie":2o74prz3 said:
We have a heifer that freaks me out. I never turn my back on here. She's come running at me more than once. We can't get her loaded, she freaks at pens, so we may be stuck with her. I saw an ad, at the feed store, for vaqueros that were advertising that they would come rope and load cattle. Tempting and a good show to boot. Steve's too stoved up to move fast. It's me she hates anyway.

You still got that number? Might come in handy sometime... :?

Alice

RR, I know exactly what you mean . All it takes is one mishap to make you gun shy. If you felt she was a threat to your safety then go with your gut. I am sure hubby would rather have you still around everyday than the cow anyways.. :)

rockridge I got kicked by a yearling bull it was a dumb mistake but it was my fault but i know how you feel so it is better to be safe then sorry.

rattler

Listen to your gut. If you don't trust that cow then you don't trust her. Had a cow calve last night. When I went to check the calf to find out what it was something just made me take the pitch fork in there with me. Now nothing happened, but I just felt a bit safer having it with me. Just the way she was acting I didn't trust.
You are not alone.

I can't understand why people keep these kind of cattle. Life is too short and the profit too little. :???: :cowboy:

Aaron":g4zuzabl said:
I can't understand why people keep these kind of cattle. Life is too short and the profit too little. :???: :cowboy:

You are dead on.
I am sitting on a heating pad this morning , as I do most mornings from fighting bad cows and horses in my youth. It is much cheaper and easier to keep a good cow than a POS.

Caustic Burno":330xnx9k said:
Aaron":330xnx9k said:

You are dead on.
I am sitting on a heating pad this morning , as I do most mornings from fighting bad cows and horses in my youth. It is much cheaper and easier to keep a good cow than a POS.

But if you had it to do all over again you wouldn't change a thing. Or you would have found some other way to get all stove up.

Caustic Burno":2648gnln said:
Dun you are right as that was when I had only one active cell in my brain.

Most all of us have been there. Some of us have been lucky enough (questionable) to reach old age in spite of it.

I am currently paying dearly for a very stupid mistake in December. RR it would have been nice to have been scared and not complacent. I didn't even see it coming. What's worse is what I was doing wasn't even neccessary. Stupid all the way around. Scared would be much better. Don't feel bad at all about the way you felt or what you did.

Just like ya'll I too am paying everyday from being young and bullit proof.
Why wouldn't anyone be scared of an animal that outweighs them 10 times or better.
Don't care who you are or how long you've had cattle you cant guess what they will do with that wild look in their eye. These cattle are not needed execpt for bull riding.
And BHB I think at some time or other we've all done things and afterwards wondedred why in the he77 we done it.

Cal

Look,you were right,,Hubby was wrong...Carry that bat with you----use it on hubby if he gets too uppity..no,can't say that,but you are right to be scared...

Thanks all,
Hubby thought i was nuts. "she's never taken a poke at anyone before". "It's okay, lets get the calf" I refused. He knew i was right when he closed the barn door on her so he could get the calf in the pen.
We thought we culled out the bad attitudes this past fall. I guess we missed one. She will be on the truck at weaning. I have learnt to be more wary of cows.
Funny thing is, this cow has a bag that hangs low. (for this she is on the list.) We had to assist the calf cause it could not find the teat. Now the barn has pens with all pannels on hinges. Some pens can be used to make a chute like area up against the wall. Hubby took a chance, gave him a slap after wards, but he gave her a pail of grain squeezed the cow with pannel up against the wall, did not secure the pannel (slap) and proceeded to get the calf to suck. Cow did not mind a bit. Could have gone south though
106.gif

Did i ever mention we have a good working Mat Pen

Believe it, cows at calving, and after are just as dangerous as a bull that turns. I had a cow calf once, always real mellow, when I went to take the calf away, she didn't seem to mind until I had started leaving with it, then she went over the electric fence and chased me all the way there. Only reason I thought of taking the calf on foot, was because she had it close to the then calf area, within walking distance. That was a big mistake. Did you know cows can run, and run fast-LOL I made it thru wthout injury and lesson learned always have the 4 wheeler, and yes there are signs when a cow is going to attack, they have maternal instincts just like people, so beware.

GMN

Man in my hometown went to pick up a sickly calf from a "pet" cow..He was on the 4 wheeler when it yelled for mom..She took him and the 4 wheeler down..He did not have a dog with him...the cow had no horns,but stomped him good..He managed to get on the 4 x4 and made it home..Wife was at beautyparlor.She was all he could think to call.She ran out curlers and all,calling 911..He was 2 weeks in hosp,had a big cow footprint on his chest for weeks.... Yall be careful out there,OK?

Latest posts