i can see why the post office is broke

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I think its because no one sends out Christmas cards anymore-its a tradition that is fading fast-I send them out every year, but every year i get less and less- are people just getting lazy?

They're going broke because they can't seem to get a package to its destination on time or in one piece. Whatever you do don't write "fragile" on a package you send through them.

hooknline":2bk8nwdk said:
They're going broke because they can't seem to get a package to its destination on time or in one piece. Whatever you do don't write "fragile" on a package you send through them.
A couple of months ago I had to have a small part delivered from a town 25 miles away and a radiator delivered from Alabama. They were both shipped the same day. The small part priority mail the radiator UPS Ground. I got the radiator 2 days before the other part.

Even better is that my local post office is only open 9-11 and 2-4. Saturdays 9-12
That makes it awful difficult to ship anything out when you're working normal hours

hooknline":1fdm367z said:
Even better is that my local post office is only open 9-11 and 2-4. Saturdays 9-12
That makes it awful difficult to ship anything out when you're working normal hours
I shipped a one page document to Michigan overnight mail and it was just a couple cents shy of 19 bucks. If the PO would have been closed I would have used Fedex or UPS overnight and it would probably been cheaper

hooknline":2ycc56nj said:

Well, I can't complain. Last week I got a package from a friend from across the state. She sent it just regular mail, not priority. She mailed it 4:30 pm and I recieved at 10:30 the next morning.

My sister sent me a package on Wed afternoon, Priority, and we got it yesterday morning.

We also recieved a package sent from NY on a Monday and we got on Wed.

I have sent Christmas cards and many have been recieved within 2 days.

BUT back in Oct my mom sent us 6 envelopes (regular letter-sized) all on the same day......it took almost 2 weeks for all of them to arrive. (she also lives in Va)

I think much of it has to do with geographical location and the folks that work there.

Katherine

The service is just flat out sorry at ours. On a good day they just screw up... on a bad day they screw it up and are rude. I have ripped in to them for being rude. I have zero tolerance for a-holes that I have to pay their wages. Any other business I just dodge.

Brute 23":1ideeb1f said:
The service is just flat out sorry at ours. On a good day they just screw up... on a bad day they screw it up and are rude. I have ripped in to them for being rude. I have zero tolerance for a-holes that I have to pay their wages. Any other business I just dodge.

They make really good money for unskilled labor. :hide:

The post office is becoming obsolete other companies can deliver faster and cheaper not to mention people send cards by email or text and also pay bills electronically. I say within 10 years the U.S.P.S will be history. They are just too expensive for what they offer. :2cents:

I have had just the opposite experience. With the exception of an overnight package that took 39 days to get there(24 years ago) I have had great service from the USPS.
For me anyway priority mail kicks the poop out of UPS ground everytime......and it's cheaper...and they are not nearly as Gun UNFRIENDLY as UPS.

UPS has an attitude towards guns that is just short of retarded! I tried to ship some incredibly well packaged 16 ga shells to a friend to do a patterning test last year. When i reaveled the contents of the package they told me that i couldn't ship them cuz 8 guage was the largest shotgun shell they would accept for shipment.
It too 30 minutes of phone calls to find someone in that organazition that wasn't a freakin retard!

Ours is bad too . I have a few suppliers I send a check to every month . I've been sending to the same address for 6 years . One of them called and said the check was late . I knew I had written it . I sent them a new one and canceled the other . A year later it came back it was stamped return to sender no such address . The mail lady is so lazy she won't deliver certified letters or packages . Just leaves a note to pick it up because she missed us .

Workinonit Farm":1yefgzl9 said:
hooknline":1yefgzl9 said:

Well, I can't complain. Last week I got a package from a friend from across the state. She sent it just regular mail, not priority. She mailed it 4:30 pm and I recieved at 10:30 the next morning.

My sister sent me a package on Wed afternoon, Priority, and we got it yesterday morning.

We also recieved a package sent from NY on a Monday and we got on Wed.

I have sent Christmas cards and many have been recieved within 2 days.BUT back in Oct my mom sent us 6 envelopes (regular letter-sized) all on the same day......it took almost 2 weeks for all of them to arrive. (she also lives in Va)

I think much of it has to do with geographical location and the folks that work there.

Katherine
I didn't get my Christmas card. :cry2:

I will ship and request the post office for any thing that I send or receive. I sent a injector pump to Badger Diesel in Wisconsion. They called one morning at 10:30 and said the pump was ready I give them My credit card number and the mail man rolled up the next morning at 11:00 and had the pump. Fedex in my area sucks. Ups is all right but takes longer than the USPS does to deliver. Also do not compare the Post Office to UPS or Fedex. The only time Fedex or Ups has to show is when they have something to deliver. The postman has to come by your house wheather you have any mail or any thing to send. This happens seven days a week. Now the pump came from Wisconsion to East Texas. Not bad in my opinion.

GMN":2ndjs6z7 said:
I think its because no one sends out Christmas cards anymore-its a tradition that is fading fast-I send them out every year, but every year i get less and less- are people just getting lazy?

Same here...wife addressed cards for two hours one night... I think we've received 2 or maybe 3.

3waycross":16c2n1ha said:
I have had just the opposite experience. With the exception of an overnight package that took 39 days to get there(24 years ago) I have had great service from the USPS.
For me anyway priority mail kicks the poop out of UPS ground everytime......and it's cheaper...and they are not nearly as Gun UNFRIENDLY as UPS.

UPS has an attitude towards guns that is just short of retarded! I tried to ship some incredibly well packaged 16 ga shells to a friend to do a patterning test last year. When i reaveled the contents of the package they told me that i couldn't ship them cuz 8 guage was the largest shotgun shell they would accept for shipment.
It too 30 minutes of phone calls to find someone in that organazition that wasn't a freakin retard!

My wife delivers mail on a rural route. She's a very easy to get along with person but you'd be amazed how many assholes she has to put up with everyday as well so gents...it works both ways. As for UPS and Fedex.. the trucks pull up to the USPS several times a day and unload their packages so you'd be amazed how many are delivered by the postal service. It's primarily the ones they don't want to have to jack with...If you want to call them "unskilled" try doing their work for a couple of days. I guarantee 99% of you will quit before the 2 days is up. It's hard and tedious work.

Theonly reason they show a loss every year is that for some reason they are the only government agency that actually has to fund their retirement plan. Don't ask me why only them but it's a fact. If the other agencies did you would see that they all are busted. You just hear about the PO.

GMN":1xphz6l7 said:

They are very expensive to send.
I know cause I am the one sent to get the dang stamps for a number 10 bucket full of cards.
I have no idea what the cards cost and I don't ask.
We have actually had friends ask to be removed from the list because they can not afford to send them out.

it is a dying tradition also because of environmentalists calling them environmentally unsound.

Where the post office is picking up custom is with the online shops and people being sent packages.

I have always had good luck with USPS. Much better than our equivalent, Canada Post. USPS Priority is pretty fast in comparison to UPS. I am always amazed how I can look up a tracking number with USPS and actually get some current info on it. Canada Post is one to two days late in reporting their tracking.

You'll never lose USPS. People thought 10 years ago that Canada Post would be long gone because of e-mail. But the ones of us that buy a lot (and I mean A LOT) online, knew otherwise. We don't send out holiday cards anymore and the amount we receive has lessened through the years.

A week ago, Canada Post processed more parcels than ever before, 1 million in 1 day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... -post.html

I can't complain about USPS. Our post office has reduced hours also. But we are happy that it is still open.
The Internet and email has hurt the PO the most. People pay bills online, purchase and pay for stuff online and write each other online.
Companies send notices and bills online.
I prefer USPS for shipping and receiving packages. The rates and service is better than FedEx and UPS here.

Latest posts