Hypotrichosis in Hereford cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

kiwihereford

Reaction score
Just wonderining about anybodies experience with hypotrichosis in pedigree herefords
I run a small Poll Hereford stud in New Zealand, of around 20-30 cows and have experienced 2 cases last calving season and 1 case already this calving season that has just begun.
Obviously we have purchased a carrier bull, but it looks like we have also managed to purchase the problem through a number of dam lines aswell, we have only purchased 12 females in the past 15 years and it looks like 3 of these may be an issue.
Looking at pedigrees I can find a link in all 4 animals ( sire plus 3 dams) to a Canadian bull Enforcer 107H, and can also find a link in 3 of the 4 to BT Butler 452M.
Interestingly we had a calf many years ago, that in hindsight was affected by hypotrichosis, that was sired by a bull that traces back to Nick the Butler, who I know is a carrier, out of one of the dam lines that appears affected now.
So I was just wondering of anybody has had any experience with this problem, or with these pedigrees, any information would be great.
The problem seems to have been somewhat ignored by breeders in NZ and in the US/Canada from what I can gather, which is quite a worry for myself as a young breeder who has worked hard to build up a good herd, and now faces the the prospect of culling or playing russian roulette with my stud herd.
What is also a concern is there has been at least 1 case of a carrier bulls causing big problems in commercial dairy herd (Holstein cows), meaning I potentially could cause a big issue for loyal bull buyers

kiwihereford":2vazhhrf said:
Just wonderining about anybodies experience with hypotrichosis in pedigree herefords
I run a small Poll Hereford stud in New Zealand, of around 20-30 cows and have experienced 2 cases last calving season and 1 case already this calving season that has just begun.
Obviously we have purchased a carrier bull, but it looks like we have also managed to purchase the problem through a number of dam lines aswell, we have only purchased 12 females in the past 15 years and it looks like 3 of these may be an issue.
Looking at pedigrees I can find a link in all 4 animals ( sire plus 3 dams) to a Canadian bull Enforcer 107H, and can also find a link in 3 of the 4 to BT Butler 452M.
Interestingly we had a calf many years ago, that in hindsight was affected by hypotrichosis, that was sired by a bull that traces back to Nick the Butler, who I know is a carrier, out of one of the dam lines that appears affected now.
So I was just wondering of anybody has had any experience with this problem, or with these pedigrees, any information would be great.
The problem seems to have been somewhat ignored by breeders in NZ and in the US/Canada from what I can gather, which is quite a worry for myself as a young breeder who has worked hard to build up a good herd, and now faces the the prospect of culling or playing russian roulette with my stud herd.
What is also a concern is there has been at least 1 case of a carrier bulls causing big problems in commercial dairy herd (Holstein cows), meaning I potentially could cause a big issue for loyal bull buyers

A system of linebreeding could help you pinpoint the carrier(s). Otherwise, test available through link:

http://www.preventiongenetics.com/clini ... /sox18.pdf

Rule of thumb is all Butler cattle and ancestors are carriers (ie. 452M, Nick, Domino 15G, Beartooth Performer). Is recessive gene , so has to be through both sides of the pedigree to be exhibited. Simple solution, don't breed Butler cattle to Butler cattle...some people avoid them entirely. As far as I know, I never knew Enforcer to be a carrier...although he was never a bull in my line of sight for breeding.

In my opinion, the Butler-sired cowherds were and still are some the best Polled Hereford cowherds you can get in North America. Rugged, sound, functional cows that proved themselves over and over in many purebred and commercial herds. Have seen many Nick the Butler cows roaming the pastures over the years...awesome cows. Their only flaw is hypotrichosis, which can be avoided. Don't get rid of good cows, just buy a good outcross bull. :cowboy:

Latest posts