Hypocrisy

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Myself included
We all complain about cheap imports,
Brazilian beef recently, but when we shop we run to harbor freight or the like and buy imports over US made.

Hypocrisy
: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue

I try my best to buy American made. I don't always get it done because it is getting harder to find things which are made here. I avoid Harbor Freight. I never go to Walmart.

I agree. I do put an honest effort in to buying American made. We've spiraled to the point, that just about everything comes from a sweat shop over seas though. Like old Sam himself used to say------Look for the label. Oh that's right, they took it off beef. Sorry.

Yes Sir, Cross.

Hypocrisy is part of the fabric that is being human.

My Uncle Bill was the only hero I had. He was a WWII veteran. Crossed the Pacific on a troop carrier. Landed on numerous islands in the Pacific and his final landing was Japan after the bombs had been dropped. He had nice guns, nice car, etc. At Christmas, our best presents always came from Uncle Bill and Aunt Clara. He was a steel worker. He constantly preached in favor of the Steel Unions. Would tell us how they fought for vacation time, better pay, health benefits, etc. After he retired, his circle of senior friends didn't like the Union. I noticed over time, he began to back-slide on the principles he preached. I think he realized he had his made and didn't need to continue his loyalty toward the Union that fought for his benefits and the retirement he enjoyed. I think it hurt me to realize he was human. And yes, a hypocrite!

Buy American is a joke. I bought a new Blazer in 1982 and most of the bolts were metric. Unions and government agencies have ruined us as a nation. I don't mind paying extra if I get the quality. Japan kicked our tail in the car business even with our government working against them, and their high labor cost. UNIONS is the reason.

Cross-7":3bzasogl said:
Myself included
We all complain about cheap imports,
Brazilian beef recently, but when we shop we run to harbor freight or the like and buy imports over US made.

Hypocrisy
: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue
Most folks buy what they can afford be it food, cattle, tools or clothing unless they have a pocket full of credit cards then they can buy the best and pay it out $25 a month while looking like a big shot. That is hypocrisy.

True Grit Farms":2hzgp7eb said:
Buy American is a joke. I bought a new Blazer in 1982 and most of the bolts were metric. Unions and government agencies have ruined us as a nation. I don't mind paying extra if I get the quality. Japan kicked our tail in the car business even with our government working against them, and their high labor cost. UNIONS is the reason.
You do realize that only 3 countries in the world do not use the metric system exclusively.....and we're one of them. :shock: :shock:

TexasBred":v6f725fm said:
True Grit Farms":v6f725fm said:
You do realize that only 3 countries in the world do not use the metric system exclusively.....and we're one of them. :shock: :shock:

Yes I'm fully aware TB. Remember the baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolet commercials? Brought to you by Chevrolet and built in the USA... with metric bolts. That's what I was referring to.

I'm guilty of buying cheap chinese stuff as well.. partly because it's all I can afford.. if beef prices had stayed up for more than a year maybe I wouldn't be such a tightwad.. I agree, it's a vicious circle.

Looking at tools, I do get a fair number of specialty tools, etc at Princess Auto (canadian equivalent of Harbor freight).. and some stuff is utter garbage, and some is pretty good.. I'd like to get a Snap-On torque wrench, but just for tightening wheel nuts I can do just fine with a $30 one, and the $400 that Snap-on wants is just prohibitive

One thing that gets my goat is the insane markups on *everything*... There's a little microswitch in excavator hand controls.. You go to Finning (CAT) for that switch, they charge $15 for it.. Since my friend replaces these often, he asked me to look for a better deal.. I got 40 of them, SHIPPED, for $9.75 out of china, and they're no better or worse than the $15 ones Someone is making a killer profit!

Metric bolts on the vehicle has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle or where it was made... Cummins and pretty much any worldwide supplier of anything has switched to metric... A pound of butter is no different if it's called a pound or 454 grams

My favorites are those who rant about big government and over regulation but are the first in line whenever there is some free handout or when the market gets tough they want government to add more regulation when it was the government that caused the mess in the first place. Of course I'm still waiting on my obammer phone so I'm guilty as well.

M-5":792pjqtf said:
Show me a small business tool maker , or a zip tie farm this is apples and oranges. Big government and over regulation made it this way.

That is the truth.
I can show you hundreds of products and Mfg's just in my small world that has been regulated to doing business overseas or outsourced.

Jogeephus":2h6esi6p said:
My favorites are those who rant about big government and over regulation but are the first in line whenever there is some free handout or when the market gets tough they want government to add more regulation when it was the government that caused the mess in the first place. Of course I'm still waiting on my obammer phone so I'm guilty as well.

I call on lots of rural coops.
Common talk is welfare and government overreach but when the drought relief came about they'd trample you with their hand out

Nesikep":bmvraelh said:
I'm guilty of buying cheap chinese stuff as well.. partly because it's all I can afford.. if beef prices had stayed up for more than a year maybe I wouldn't be such a tightwad.. I agree, it's a vicious circle.

Looking at tools, I do get a fair number of specialty tools, etc at Princess Auto (canadian equivalent of Harbor freight).. and some stuff is utter garbage, and some is pretty good.. I'd like to get a Snap-On torque wrench, but just for tightening wheel nuts I can do just fine with a $30 one, and the $400 that Snap-on wants is just prohibitive

One thing that gets my goat is the insane markups on *everything*... There's a little microswitch in excavator hand controls.. You go to Finning (CAT) for that switch, they charge $15 for it.. Since my friend replaces these often, he asked me to look for a better deal.. I got 40 of them, SHIPPED, for $9.75 out of china, and they're no better or worse than the $15 ones Someone is making a killer profit!

Metric bolts on the vehicle has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle or where it was made... Cummins and pretty much any worldwide supplier of anything has switched to metric... A pound of butter is no different if it's called a pound or 454 grams

When a product is exclusive to the Mfg (5 yrs) they stick it in and break it off.
Once it's available to the rest of the world they get competitive.
But for 5 years profits are 500% or more

Cross, that microswitch (if that's what you're talking about) has been commonplace since the 80's in thing like photocopiers, etc.. billions of them have been made.. No, $15 for it is nothing but a rip off if I can get it for $.25 including shipping

Nesikep":z5f5kgyu said:
Cross, that microswitch (if that's what you're talking about) has been commonplace since the 80's in thing like photocopiers, etc.. billions of them have been made.. No, $15 for it is nothing but a rip off if I can get it for $.25 including shipping

Same thing in a Filrite pump
Plain toggle switch is only available in a 50.00 kit, not sold separately.
.50 switch does the same job.

And those Fillrite pumps use a crappy glue to hold the magnets of the motors on.. Buddy has a stack of them that fell apart

A CV driveline was nearly 2k from Deere.
Same driveline from Weasler was a little over 1k
Same driveline they build for Deere

But the public isn't aware

My Deere dealers are good but they know who butters their bread.
Deere first and customers second

Nesikep":dico77u1 said:
And those Fillrite pumps use a crappy glue to hold the magnets of the motors on.. Buddy has a stack of them that fell apart

True enough but simple design and easy to repair
No other pump design is better

Edit
2 year warranty
No questions asked
It breaks they replace it

Latest posts