Hydrocephalic Calf ( MANY PHOTOS )

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes cowcop, thanks for the update. This will be one of those unanswered weird things that will remain a mystery. Most of us have had one or two of those......

Dee":2hgjmyqt said:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/about6747.html&highlight=

is this the same thing?

No, it isn't.

If anyone ever experiences anything "weird," take a photo so we can all see it.

I suspect that someday in the future someone else will have a calf similar to Y 24.

I love oddities. Many lessons to be learned from them.

This is an old post but thought I would reply bc I have a similar case. We have a 4 month old Hydrocephaly Bottle Calve. From what I understand from our vet it is a minor case but it is very rare that he is living. He is doing pretty well. Takes bottle well, drinks from nipple bucket with water on his own and eats grass on his own and grain.
Last month we were having some issues with him bc it seemed like he was vomiting. It ending up being that he didn't know how to chew his cud which he has now figured out.
The issue we are having now is that he is collapsing. It started out just happening a few times we thought due to losing his balance when he got aggressive about his bottle. Now it is getting more frequent and sometimes he is unable to get up on his own.
He is still eating, drinking, and grazing, but we are starting to get concerned about the collapsing. We are attached now and we're going to just keep him as a pet, but I am worried that the collapsing may be associated with the pressure on his brain.
Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or can offer any suggestions on what we can do or what it might be. Thanks!

Taurus":telekbvs said:
Fatten him up and butcher him soon
The OP said they "are keeping him as a pet." I do not think that is an option for them Taurus.

Unfortunately it sounds like his condition may be worsening. :( What does your vet say?

branguscowgirl":t3uba638 said:
Taurus":t3uba638 said:
Fatten him up and butcher him soon
The OP said they "are keeping him as a pet." I do not think that is an option for them Taurus.

Unfortunately it sounds like his condition may be worsening. :( What does your vet say?
yes its unfortunately that it sounds like he may not live enough long that's why I say finished him out and butcher it before his condition gets worse when he get older.

Latest posts