humor me challenge!

Help Support CattleToday:

glfgy74

Reaction score
if you'll humor me for a minute. I wanna check my Bull selection skills against some folks who've been at this a lot longer than me....I think we'd all chose a better Bull than the ones here, but if you had to chose one, which one is the best out of these 8?

Top Left is #1, Top Right is #2, moving from left to right with the Bottom right being #8

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

http://www.cliftonlivestock.com/static_ ... try_cattle

Not a great picture but I think from the group I would pick 7. He is a little smoother through the shoulder than my second pick which would be 6 in third I would put 8 and my fourth place I would put the 4 bull. Not that my opinion matters but had fun looking.

A couple don't look like they have much of a SC measurement. Our livestock coach always told us when judging bulls look for guts,nuts and butts then make sure they had wheels to carry them on.

Gizmom

gizmom":1oo4y15v said:
Not a great picture but I think from the group I would pick 7. He is a little smoother through the shoulder than my second pick which would be 6 in third I would put 8 and my fourth place I would put the 4 bull. Not that my opinion matters but had fun looking.

A couple don't look like they have much of a SC measurement. Our livestock coach always told us when judging bulls look for guts,nuts and butts then make sure they had wheels to carry them on.

Gizmom

lol i've heard that before as well

Question - several of you picked 2 how bout giving some reasons as to why. i must be missing something because he looks pencil gutted to me and he narrows up in the rear end. Not to mention he doesn't carry his muscling down into the lower quarter.

Gizmom

gizmom":1ushjjy0 said:
Question - several of you picked 2 how bout giving some reasons as to why. i must be missing something because he looks pencil gutted to me and he narrows up in the rear end. Not to mention he doesn't carry his muscling down into the lower quarter.

Gizmom
pencil gutted?? i aint crazy over any of em past the flank but.... to '''me''' i like him head, crest ""especially the topline'' gutt, and has much muscle as the rest, what there is... he looks like a bull

glfgy74":17mh5y6x said:
if you'll humor me for a minute. I wanna check my Bull selection skills against some folks who've been at this a lot longer than me....I think we'd all chose a better Bull than the ones here, but if you had to chose one, which one is the best out of these 8?

Top Left is #1, Top Right is #2, moving from left to right with the Bottom right being #8

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

I will give you this you are the absolutely the Red Ribbon winner when it comes to finding crappy bull's.
There is one other line out there you might check out from previous post. It is the Demetreous line.

Caustic Burno":25zmr6ti said:
glfgy74":25zmr6ti said:

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

I will give you this you are the absolutely the Red Ribbon winner when it comes to finding crappy bull's.
There is one other line out there you might check out from previous post. It is the Demetreous line.

My FIRST RIBBON!!!!!!

I just ran across this link while looking at the Clifton Livestock Auction page and I thought after my choice of Bull in Black Hereford was sub-par, i'd try a neat challenge. Didn't think an old Cattleman like yourself would like any but the challenge worked out...and i picked number 6 out of the bunch, so at least i have a decent sense of the best of the eight...

I'm learning and I'll go peak at the Demetreous line....when i figure out what that is.... :help:

glfgy74":obi2s0du said:
Caustic Burno":obi2s0du said:
glfgy74":obi2s0du said:

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

My FIRST RIBBON!!!!!!

I just ran across this link while looking at the Clifton Livestock Auction page and I thought after my choice of Bull in Black Hereford was sub-par, i'd try a neat challenge. Didn't think an old Cattleman like yourself would like any but the challenge worked out...and i picked number 6 out of the bunch, so at least i have a decent sense of the best of the eight...

I'm learning and I'll go peak at the Demetreous line....when i figure out what that is.... :help:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21170&hilit=demetrius

glfgy74":gpfdor0i said:
Caustic Burno":gpfdor0i said:
glfgy74":gpfdor0i said:

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

My FIRST RIBBON!!!!!!

I just ran across this link while looking at the Clifton Livestock Auction page and I thought after my choice of Bull in Black Hereford was sub-par, i'd try a neat challenge. Didn't think an old Cattleman like yourself would like any but the challenge worked out...and i picked number 6 out of the bunch, so at least i have a decent sense of the best of the eight...I'm learning and I'll go peak at the Demetreous line....when i figure out what that is.... :help:
not really, theres a whole lot more to it, than just following the crowd..... you gotta know why your following ..what made you decide

not really, theres a whole lot more to it, than just following the crowd..... you gotta know why your following ..what made you decide

I promise i had 6 picked before i put the challenge out there....i wanted to compare what i thought was the best bull purely on looks.

glfgy74":3bi78c4w said:

I promise i had 6 picked before i put the challenge out there....i wanted to compare what i thought was the best bull purely on looks.
:lol2: dont have to promise,, it dont matter... thats not the point...

gizmom":25n5mdwa said:

Gizmom

This is waht i said when i picked him and i stand by it.

2 and 5 if 2's right foot was back he would look even better but he has a great topline a long hip and good depth.

To address a couple of your points how can you tell how far down he carries his muscle when all you can see is one outside gaskin muscle on a leg that is stretched forward, thereby making it look worse than it really is..

He is far from pencil gutted you are mistaking the weak backs on most of the other calves for them being deep or soggy. What they are is too weak backed to carry their weight in their gut.

# 2 also has a flawless tailset and topline. and is not over conditioned like a couple are. Heck as bad as the pictures are you can see pones on some of them!. Young bulls should not be that fat!

I would like him a little smoother in the shoulder but there is no doubt that he is a bull. He also has a real good long hip. I have become a firm believer that those bulls that lay on cows and stifle them or worse are those bulls that are short hipped and weak backed. They are not athletic and it shows in their inability to breed without damaging a cow when they get older and heavier!

3waycross":i9y73t7a said:
gizmom":i9y73t7a said:

Gizmom

This is waht i said when i picked him and i stand by it.

2 and 5 if 2's right foot was back he would look even better but he has a great topline a long hip and good depth.

To address a couple of your points how can you tell how far down he carries his muscle when all you can see is one outside gaskin muscle on a leg that is stretched forward, thereby making it look worse than it really is..

He is far from pencil gutted you are mistaking the weak backs on most of the other calves for them being deep or soggy. What they are is too weak backed to carry their weight in their gut.

# 2 also has a flawless tailset and topline. and is not over conditioned like a couple are. Heck as bad as the pictures are you can see pones on some of them!. Young bulls should not be that fat!

I would like him a little smoother in the shoulder but there is no doubt that he is a bull. He also has a real good long hip. I have become a firm believer that those bulls that lay on cows and stifle them or worse are those bulls that are short hipped and weak backed. They are not athletic and it shows in their inability to breed without damaging a cow when they get older and heavier!

now this is some good stuff!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts