Hughesnet

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
Do any of you use Hughesnet satellite internet service? If so, do you like the service, and would you recommend it?

I am currently on dial up, connection speed normally 19.2, and satellite service seems to be my only option in the rural area where I am located.

We have it here at work and like anything else when it works it's great and when it doesn't it's very frustrating. I don't know how personal accounts work but on the business account we have a bandwidth limit and if you exceed that (don't know if it is one time or total) they set you back to dial up speed for 24 hours as punishment. The weather does effect performance if it is cloudy or rainy. But way better than dial up and yea I understand about it being the only option.

It's not cheap though. Not sure how much exactly.

Well, I have heard that from other people here at work too. I'm thinking about getting a Verizon card that I can plug into a laptop or my PC. Also could take it to different locations on the ranch. The only think I'm worried about with the cards is that I get little or no reception at my house with a cell phone, and I'm hoping the cards do better.

TXBobcat":17n6mihz said:
The only think I'm worried about with the cards is that I get little or no reception at my house with a cell phone, and I'm hoping the cards do better.

I'd bet they will not do better than a cell phone, perhaps worse. If the signal is there though, they work well enough for personal use.

we have hughesnet an i love it.its fast an dependable in my area.an if it goes off its back on real quick.we was paying $24 a month for the phline an $16 a month for dialup.an the dial up was as slow as the devil.hughes net is fast.an we stay online 24/7.now it can be a pain getting it hooked up an running.we have 3 pcs networked with a wireless router.an are running a ps3 to download trial games.now a ps3 will cause it to freeze up,when it happens here we unplug the router for a min.an if that dont get it going we unplug the modem for a min.then plug back in.our hughesnet cost me $51 a month.now you do sign a 2yr contract.if you download alot itll phapp you back to dialup speed if you go over your daily download limit.free download time starts at 2am cst an goes to 5am cst.the download during that 3hrs is free.

bigbull338":3p67xr4b said:
we have hughesnet an i love it.its fast an dependable in my area.an if it goes off its back on real quick.we was paying $24 a month for the phline an $16 a month for dialup.an the dial up was as slow as the devil.hughes net is fast.an we stay online 24/7.now it can be a pain getting it hooked up an running.we have 3 pcs networked with a wireless router.an are running a ps3 to download trial games.now a ps3 will cause it to freeze up,when it happens here we unplug the router for a min.an if that dont get it going we unplug the modem for a min.then plug back in.our hughesnet cost me $51 a month.now you do sign a 2yr contract.if you download alot itll phapp you back to dialup speed if you go over your daily download limit.free download time starts at 2am cst an goes to 5am cst.the download during that 3hrs is free.

what is your daily download limit?

BigBull I guess I found our problem. We're never up to download between 2 and 5 AM...lolol. But seriously it seems to take forever just to open an email with pictures in the body of the email and it's been that way since day one. There is one other speed you can get that is suppose to be faster than what we now have but not sure if it would be worth it or not. Got any secrets to speed it up other than the download times? I'm all ears.

i cant remember right off.but i do know this we could download the daily limit in less than 30mins.an then it would knock us back to dialup.

We have Hughes Satellite and our speed is 100 Mbps. Only downtime is when weather is real nasty (rarely), then usually back online in short order. Our converter box is the DW7000. We have flat rate of 59.95 a month. Have had no problems with our website, emails as far as "limits" on incoming/outgoing items.

Also have Hughes Satellite unit for our TV.

We are running hughesnet and have had good luck with it. We do homeschooling so we download a lot of stuff and dial up was not practical. My employer has DSL and hughes is faster on some things and a little slower on others. The only frustration for me is service. Tech support is a nightmare cause no one there speaks clear ENGLISH!!!!!! When you need service you are usually routed through about 5 companies til you get to the one that actually does the work. We just remember the service guy we like and call him direct now and saves headaches. Weather is a factor just as it is with the satelite TV. Usually you will know about 10 minutes in advance of when the downpour arrives. I do recommend the service...would hate to go back to dial up.

We have it. Some days I love it, and others I hate it. Speed can really vary from fast to slow as cold mud. It's better overall than dialup (which is HORRIBLE in our area), but I'm not satisfied.

We have someone that is going to be installing wireless broadband for our entire county this year. Hughesnet is going to get dumped......

grannysoo":28i1m353 said:
We have someone that is going to be installing wireless broadband for our entire county this year. Hughesnet is going to get dumped......

You'll love the wireless bradband. There are 2 providers in this area. One really sucks, nothing but complaints that I've heard except for the people right in twon. The other one is a guy with just a couple of antennas scattered around the fringes of the area. He's the one we use. The best we could do with dialup was 26.2, that really sucked!

grannysoo":1gs9t46u said:
We have it. Some days I love it, and others I hate it. Speed can really vary from fast to slow as cold mud. It's better overall than dialup (which is HORRIBLE in our area), but I'm not satisfied.

Wireless broadband is very good. Connection speeds do still depend on how busy the CT board is.

TexasBred":2p2lgduw said:
BigBull I guess I found our problem. We're never up to download between 2 and 5 AM...lolol. But seriously it seems to take forever just to open an email with pictures in the body of the email and it's been that way since day one. There is one other speed you can get that is suppose to be faster than what we now have but not sure if it would be worth it or not. Got any secrets to speed it up other than the download times? I'm all ears.

Slow computer can be because of garbage, try this: http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... er#p466309

Hippi, thanks but I keep the unnecessary files clearned out, defrag once a week and it's set to automatically run a virus scan daily. Darn thing has been slow since we took it out of the box. Brand new Dell top of the line. With HughesNet is is a little better but only a little. May just have to bite the bullet and move up to the next highest speed which is their highest speed. Maybe it'll be worth the extra 10 bucks or so. Thanks again.

now the virus scanns like macafee an norton can slow a pc down biggtime.i know that it takes forever for my moms pc to scann.an it used to take forever for mine to scann till the viris pro tection lapsed.

bigbull338":13ecxga8 said:
now the virus scanns like macafee an norton can slow a pc down biggtime.i know that it takes forever for my moms pc to scann.an it used to take forever for mine to scann till the viris pro tection lapsed.
Yep they are hogs - several free ones out there are much better. I use AVG

Hippie Rancher":1dy1m3qu said:
bigbull338":1dy1m3qu said:
Yep they are hogs - several free ones out there are much better. I use AVG

So do I, haven;t noticed any slow down. I'm running 98 on one, 98SE on another and XP Pro on another. The only one that seems slow is the 98 but it's an old laptop that is slooooooooooow doing anything.

Latest posts