How you do it

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
I was just wondering how everyone works cattle, like with dogs 4 wheelers horses whatever. just curious

Feed rattling in a bucket with pick-up truck and on foot.
Where I work, they use truck horns and tractor with feed cart, then on foot when in the pens and alleys.

Katherine

Turn the dogs out, soon as my cows here em barkin they will head to the back of the place and bunch together, then head out on horses and push em to the front to the grass lot, then on into the catch pens. From there we sort on foot, sometimes use the horse to rope the stubbern one or two. Once they are all sorted, we do the rest on foot.

Some of the guys that help us work cows bring their cur/pitt cross dogs, I've got a couple of border collies pups I'm starting on cattle now. Had a really great one a few years ago, best workin dog I've ever had. He loved to ride, we went on a 4 day trip and came home, someone had apparently gave him a ride and didn't bring him back.

i have australian shepherds, but i dont use them as cow dogs. they are the best dogs for pets

Our's are kind of spoiled...usually hang out on the hill where they can see our bedroom window...by the time we get to the barn and yell "here boss" they are on their way.
Rattling a grain bucket will bring them from a quarter mile away.
Push them on foot into the catch pen...

our cows usually just follow the truck expecting cubes. sometimes things dont go as planned though

in the fall or winter time we lead them in with a roll or two of hay. usually feed them in there and let them eat a while first before we run them back into the pen (fourwheeler and on foot). in the spring and summer, we may use minerals the same way or just keep them closed out so that the grass grows up lush and then open the gate and they all run in.

I use a bag of corn most of the time, sometimes have to wear them out with the truck. If theyre not used to corn I sometimes tie a barrel on a rope to the back of the truck and drive around. The cattle follow it right out the gate.

Work 'em on foot. Holler for them to come and then use a bucket of feed to entice them into the corral and slam the gate shut. Works most of the time. Sometimes we let 'em spend the night in the corral with hay and water so they're calm and rested and we can start working 'em the next morning.

usually we work them on foot, the dog, and grandpa on the quad, ut if they are in the pasture, we use two trucks, a quad, and my lil brother is on foot with the dog right along in the front of the pack-lol.

if they are down back, we take the golf cart or 4 wheeler and a five gallon bucket and shake it, or maybe tease em with a few cubes, and go towards the pens then we drive on in and feed them, so they dont think they have been totally tricked, we let em eat and settle down and get em in the corral on foot, i have never had any luck drivin cattle on the four wheeler, (kinda like pushing a rope to me) but i can usually make em follow me anywhere with a bucket and something inside it that rattles.

Latest posts