How to wean calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mare

Reaction score
Ok, Hope I used a right title??? Ok I really do wish that was the problem> But the problem I have is a 2 year old herifer now that is still nursing on my other herifer. She's not her mother and she's a beef cow. Hasn't had a calf of her own yet. So there is no milk to being with. I've tried, bitter apple spray, mineral oil, udder ointment, smacking her when I see her and is close enough to her. Of course being careful that at 850 pounds she doesn't get mad at me and charge me to get away. I hoping to find an answer soon. I've been on this comp. :compute: everyday looking for one. That's how I found ya. Someone even told me about putting small nails on a halter so when she goes to nursing, she'll poke Reba. I've seen Reba try to kick at her, run from her,head butt her, But she soon gives up and just stands there. I've bred both of them, I don't know if any is preagant. But I'm worried that if she is, It will cause damage and if the calf is born and she does get her milk. Sara-lu will take from the calf and I'll have a sick calf. :???: :help:

have one like that myself. normally i just sell them too. i decided to ex periment with this one. i put a bull ring in her nose with about six inches of chain on it. when she tries to suck the chain interferes with her. has worked all summer & the ring & chain will never bother her or keep her from eating & if you want to work on her it is real easy to grab the chain. knew one dairyman that put rings in all his cows so they could grab them in their tie stalls for any reason

I've got one right now that I weaned from 6 or 7 months until she was about 13 or 14 months old, put her and the other heifers back in the herd, and danged if she didn't find her momma and start up again right alongside the mommas next calf. She is headed to town with the next load of calves.

A cow starts making colostrum antibodies a month before calving. Heifers longer. This is one of the reasons why we need to meet the needs of the animals during the last trimester
If reba is getting chased, and being sucked on, she is expending needed energy. Energy she needs to keep her BSC and make the colostrum is spent fighting off this mooch. This mooch needs to go now. If now is not feesible, she needs to get penned up elsewhere away from any cows.
This hiefer will not stop, and if you do not see her doing it when you are watching...are you watching 24/7?
You will suffer in the wean weights and in the breed back if this mooch does not grow wheels
there are too many good cows out there to fight with a bad one. Especially in this market

Yes, I've heard. I bred them in Aug,Sept. It's to early to know if they are yet. We have cattle camp coming up in Jan., that's when I'm going to have them checked. From everyone reply, It seems the best thing to do. Which more and more I'm leaning that way. And even if they are not pregant. I still think that Sara-lu is going. Yes you guys read it right. :cboy: Thanks for the reply rockrigdgecattle

If they were bred in Aug and Sept, they can be palpated (pregnancy checked) now.
Are you watching them to see if they have come back in heat?

Really, if your grandchildren are going to show the cattle, they need to separated now so that they can be fitted. Show cattle need to be worked every day, just like horses. They need to be groomed daily too.

You want them to look their best at the fair. And believe me, the judge and other exhibitors can tell if the animal has not been groomed daily and worked. Those animals stick out like a sore thumb.

Your grandchildren should be doing this now so that they will be a little bit ready for cow camp next month.

Yes, She's going after the fair!!!!!! Their already register for that and I can't replace her right now. But yes she is going!!!!!!! And Chippie yes were working on the grooming and leading again. Thanks.

You can separate them alternating keeping one in during the day while the other is turned out.
IE: the nurser in during the day and out at night, and the other heifer out during the day and in at night.

I don't show cattle anymore buy our youngest daughter does. She scrambled at our county fair last year and caught. I think that she is going to get a registered Brahman heifer. She caught once before and bought a Braunvieh.

Good luck.

ETA: We all show horses.

Good luck to your youngest daugther.I wish her the best!!!!! Aren't Brahman Heifer really large. The ones we have are hereford/beefmaster and the other one is charlois/angus. They are about 850/900 lbs. Horse are not my cup of tea. I was 8 and didn't have a good time on one. Since then I've never liked them or ride them anymore. My freind has a ranch with horses and is still trying to get me ride with them. Plus learning about cattle is scary enough.

tncattle467":253j6zkx said:
I showed cattle when I was younger as did my kids. If we had one that was acting like mares show animal or not it would be gone as soon as we could load it in the trailer without so much as a second thought. If you cannot afford to replace an animal you do not need to be in the cattle business period. Also, you need to teach children that animals are just that animals and that they can die at a moments notice. Thus, taking it off and let them help teaches them that hey these are just animals, I can get another, it is not the end of the world.

You don't understand her situation. The offending heifer has already been entered or tagged in. She can not substitute a different one.
Mare said that the heifer would be sold after the show.

Animals may be "just animals", however not all are throw aways. If there is a way to solve the problem, do it.

One thing that can be learned from owning livestock is compassion and respect for life. It's sad that apparently you have never learned that life's lesson.

Mare,
I think you are a good Grandmother for trying to help your Grand child learn about cattle. It's a great thing to do. Sounds to me that you have very little help if any at all. Don't be intimidated by anyone. There are many great people on these boards that are willing to be a friend and help you with good honest information. Those people probly have a favorate cow, calf or bull that they have given names as well. My wife Kathy and grand daughter Lily have named every animal on our farm. Good luck and don't give up. Merry Christmas.
Tom.

Thank you all for your advice, Yes It's just me. Hubby don't like the cows, even though he did get them for me for Christmas 2 years ago. I understand that everyone has a good way of doing things and I'm so happy that I found this forum. Even if all the books I've looked at and google for info. They never said it was going to be this hard. I did find out, Sara-lu eats about anything. Sweet, sour, spicy, Nothing seems to stop her. Nose ring is next. Even my freinds around here have pitched in. But I'll make it thur. One choice is all I have. But till March after the fair, I'll just deal with it. I do belive in miracle :santa: You all have a Wonderful Christmas, Many good Blessing to all of you!!!!! Thank you again :tiphat:

You are a nice lady Mare...and one heck of a grandmother!!!!

Merry, merry Christmas to you!!!! :wave:

Alice

Thank you Alice, HEY EVERYONE!!!! Hope all went well ! We had a great Christmas!! Even got Sara-lu problems Fixed. I talk to our freind that hubby got the cows from. He said after the New Year and during cattle camp. I'm hoping to find out if they are pregant. I can take Sara-lu over to his place and see if that will break her from nursing on Reba. Also if that doesn't work, I'm going to try to sale her. Of course the people that buy her will understand that she has that problem. 900 lbs is alot of meat, And I guess we can use the money, to get another and start all over again. Otherwise for now I'll pray that everything works out and she can come back home and not want to nurse on Reba. So it seems that the New Year is bring good news.

Latest posts