How to Tame a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
According to rsearchers at University of Florida, rubbing lavender oil on a bull's nose will make him much more docile. Apparently, the effect is more than just blocking the scent of cows in heat, it actually has a calming effect.

One researcher described a previously aggressive bull as "having a much better attitude and even allowing a nice pat on the head and even tolerated a hug".

A PETAB, (People for the Ethical Treatment of Aggressive Bulls), spokesman described the news as "wonderful" and suggested that no bull should ever have to be treated with anything but kindness and love ever again.

So, everyone should immediately go buy lavender oil, apply to their bull's nose and give him a big hug.

Here's a testimony from Beatrice of Dixie Springs, AR:

"We tried lavender oil with our bull and the effect has been amazing. Our bull, Buttercup, now comes in the house to watch the news with us every night. He will lay at our feet and sometimes even purrs. My husband thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread because he no longer has to carry a stick and wallop the bull when he gets out of hand.

We are trying to find a way to reclaim the lavender oil, (it does get expensive after a while), by extracting it from Buttercup's poop to reuse. But my husband says that's just BS".

Also read on these boards somewhere that if you trim a bull's eye lashes, he won't jump fences. ;-) ;-) ;-) :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lavendar has a calming effect on people so I guess it would work on animals. Guess if I ever show a bull I'll keep it in mind as extra insurance. If I have a mean bull trying to kill me I won't be rubbing on any lavendar though, I'll be shipping the bull. :lol:

cowboyup216
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:44 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe ill put some lavender oil on my stock stick for when I beat my bull across the head with it.

I thought you said a while back that your bull was halter broke?

I take pride in raising tame bulls. They don't all (most do) allow me to scratch their heads their flight zone is very close.

Makes them easy to work and don't have to worry about them coming after me.

I can't stand cattle that throw their heads high and take off when I get out of the truck.

Temperament is somewhat genetic, but handing them slow and easy, and making sure they don't fear me to extremes is the key to raising docile cattle. IMHO

A little slap on the ear with a sorting stick will make a young bull back off enough to respect you.

Some on this board take petting cows to the extreme. I would like every one of my cows to stand so I can put my hands on them in the pasture. Most do. That keeps them from being too nervous when confined.

I think some of the folks on these forums, should try a little of that lavender oil on themselves. 8) Well can't hurt. :D :D

Glad you guys found humor in my little April fool's joke!!

Just for clarification, University of Florida is a fine institution and I am certain they have better things to do then hug oily bulls...

Little Cow":1w4bnd5v said:
According to rsearchers at University of Florida, rubbing lavender oil on a bull's nose will make him much more docile. Apparently, the effect is more than just blocking the scent of cows in heat, it actually has a calming effect.

A PETAB, (People for the Ethical Treatment of Aggressive Bulls), spokesman described the news as "wonderful" and suggested that no bull should ever have to be treated with anything but kindness and love ever again.

Dang! I'm SO gullible! I turned to my husband and asked him if he's ever heard of PETAB. He said "NO. But it wouldnt surprise me some PETA group coming up with such a thing".

It took the comment from BEZ before I finally "got it".......hello! It's April 1st! Duh! :oops:

:lol:

Sorry, Livestock101!

I haven't been 'gotten' yet, today, but the day isn't over!! :eek:

Doggone it! I just got back from buying my lavendar oil and now you tell me it's a joke!!! :D

john250":206a7jr8 said:
Rub lavender oil on my nose and I'll follow you around all day. 8) :lol: :lol:

I truly hope you are not chatting at me!! :shock:

Now Alice has admitted to me that she is one hot mama - or words to that effect - you might try talking to her. :D

Bez>