how to restart a horse

Help Support CattleToday:

farm princess

Reaction score
I have the chance to get a morgan mix. This person said that she used to show years back. The horse hasn't been ridden in approx. 4 years. The horse is now 14 years. My question is how hard is it to get the horse started under the saddle again. I don't even know if it is a mare or gelding, I will ask today and also ask what it is mixed with. Thanks for any info that hopefully will come in.

;-)

depending on the horse, its not that bad. i restarted a mare that hadnt been ridden in eight years. the biggest problem i ran into was her moody attitude, similar to that of a VERY spoiled horse. she just didnt want to be fooled with. once we got past that she did very good. if you gain the horses respect first, you'll have a much smoother time. it will surprise you how much the horse knows but is hiding from you lol

I am going to look at her this weekend. I did find out that it is a mare. Dad was 100% arabian and mom was 100% morgan.

Horses don't forget anything, they will start right up where they left off. They may get out of shape of course and may need to be loosened up a bit by some lunging under tack just to make sure everything is ok.

farm princess":x23j7mjk said:
I am going to look at her this weekend. I did find out that it is a mare. Dad was 100% arabian and mom was 100% morgan.

Like hayray said, horses hardly forget anything. Chances are if the horse wasn't ridden in 4 years, there was reason, such as the previous owner doing something stupid and getting hurt. So chances are the horse has picked up some bad habits, be mindful of that, identify them, and break them of it...

I can't say for 100% why she hasn't been riden for 4 years but I do know that she (the previous owner) has had 2 kids in the last four years. She also kept her at her grandma's house and she lived 30 min. away. I do know that the horse was ridden bareback by children with a lead in those 4 years. I did try to put a blanket on her and she seemed scared of it the first fews times, but clamed down after sever times, and as for the saddle, she is still quite shy of it. I am taking it slowly and working with her to gain her trust and letting her settle in. I don't know if this helps any. But thanks for the answers so far.

;-)