How to read weigh tape

Help Support CattleToday:

Brookman

Reaction score
Hope you all have a Happy New Year! Question: Our 7 mo olds have been off mama & eating calf grower for 30 days, so before we sell them I would liketo know their approx. wieght.Hence the weight tape . One side says "for estimating Beef cattle" with the scale for Thin, Meduim, Fat, Ex. Fat.
Other side says "this side for Fed cattle" Meduim, Good, Choise, Fancy. Hmmmm. There can be quite a bit of difference depending on how one reads. Which side do my calves fit into? ( They certainly aren't thin- Ha! This much I can see) For instance one steer with a heart girth of 60" might weigh 642 lb using the Fed Cattle Medium scale, or 587 lb using the Beef Cattle Fat scale. That's 55 lb @either, say, $1.25 or maybe $1.03,depending on condition.I have questions about what's choice, fancy, etc.but I'll save that for later, and Ladies and Gentlemen, we really appreciate your replies!!!

Sorry I can not be of any help...My weigh tape only has one side, but I can still never remember which end goes over the cow for the correct weight?!?!? :roll: :x :roll:

I have a tape like the one described. It has puzzeled me for sometime.

If it would not be a bother, after you get the actual weights of the animals let us know what line worked best.

First you need to remember that the tape is only an estimate, although we have found it to be within 25 lbs on big steers. You need to determine the condition of the animal, how fat it is, rub your hand over the back and see if you can feel the spinous processes, the bumps on the backbone; if you can then you have a thin cow, if not and you determine that there is a nice layer of fat and you can't see the individual ribs then you could have a fleshy or finished cow. Alot of this is guesstimates but after you make note of the animals and what the true weight was you can guess pretty close.
The tape could have metric measurements on the reverse side.
Good luck...DMc

Thanks for the great link! I can't wait to compare this method to my mysterious weight tape measurements!
Amy

Latest posts