how to re-spool smooth HT wire?

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
Planning on moving a couple of fence runs in the next couple of days, 12.5 ga HT fence.... is there a trick to re-spool the wire so that I dont end up with a mess when trying to unwind and put it back up?

I just use the jenny and roll it up the opposite of how it was unrolled

You can also take a metal barrel and cut a little hole in it and stick the wire thru this and then knot it. Then you can use the barrel to roll up the wire.

How far do you have to move it? If your staying on your property, or don't need to go down a road or across a road. Hook it on your trailer hitch, 4 wheeler, tractor or just pull it by hand around to the new area. Stretch it out, no need to roll it up. :cboy:

Jogeephus":2jdhwg77 said:
You can also take a metal barrel and cut a little hole in it and stick the wire thru this and then knot it. Then you can use the barrel to roll up the wire.

A tire rim works fine also, especially a motorcycle rim.

The evil TSC sells a roller. I bought one and used it to roll up barbed wire. I beefed it up and use it on the auger.
It helps to tie a swivel and some weight on the loose end.
We used this set up on 33,000 feet of gacho. Stacked it up on pallets after rolling.
On smooth wire it should work great. Plastic zip ties work great for tieing it off before removal from the roller.

lukem86":19q8fepw said:
Planning on moving a couple of fence runs in the next couple of days, 12.5 ga HT fence.... is there a trick to re-spool the wire so that I dont end up with a mess when trying to unwind and put it back up?

When the electric power people are working in your area watch for a small to medium wooden cable spool left at work site or ask them for one. Works great but a little hard on your back bending over to roll it up. Good to store the wire on till needed. Cheap as well.

Jon

Latest posts