How to obtain a spotted calf

Help Support CattleToday:

LLBUX":1w2g0srs said:
Lots of Belted Galloway cattle in Texas.

They handle heat well.
Thanks for the info. I thought that they wouldn't handle the heat as well since they have the double haircoat. The ones that I had years ago were very friendly and personable and the belts just make people sit up and take notice. But as with so many places, "black" sells here and the colored ones get discounted.

RWT;
I am not sure if I have followed you as well as I normally do some threads. You want something that is self-sufficient. Yet you want cows that can reproduce themselves. You want older bred cows but you want ones on their second calf. You like corrientes because they are smaller and "easily handled" ??? You want to take the horns off of the breeds that are specifically used for their horns, ie: bull dogging, roping, etc. You wondered if taking the horns OFF of a 2 yr old cow will cause the future resulting calf to not have horns if bred to a polled bull??? You want speckles/spots, yet you expect them to pay for themselves when you sell the offspring; when many markets are pushing the "black is better", and anything ODD will take a big hit at the sale barn, although not as much if sold privately. You want to feed square bales for ease of handling, and less waste than round bales, yet you travel for work so will not be there on a daily or every other day basis, to take care of feeding regularly.
You say you have worked around cattle with your neighbor/friend, yet you seem to not really understand the basics of cattle. I am not trying to be negative; but it seems that you have not managed to acquire the basics from the research you say you have done.
A polled breed can be just as hard to handle and hurt you just as easily as a horned one. It is their temperment and disposition. Granted the horns can get you in a different way but that doesn't make them "more likely to hurt you". I am not advocating for or against horns, and I understand that they can be a problem; that said, you are wanting to take the horns off an animal and then think it is going to make them a better disposition to be around?
Steers are not any more likely to be less friendly than cows. In fact, most of our friendliest animals are steers and it gets my goat sometimes; since I would rather make a pet out of a heifer I am going to keep than the steer I am going to eat.

Many of the guys on here from the southwest and Texas, so they know the area, climate and conditions better than I ever could. And I can read their increduality of your statements about the breeding of "dehorned" longhorns to polled to not get horns. I know there are factors in the whole makeup of longhorns, brahmas and such concerning the horns and prepotency. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. In most english breeds the polled trumps the horns.

An older cow is isn't a cow having her second calf in general terms. An older cow is one having her 4th or more calf in most everyone's book that I know of. When I read most posts about "older cows" they are in the 8 year old range or older. A cow having her second calf is a YOUNG COW, in most all cases unless someone waited until she was 8 to have her first calf.....

AI on cattle requires you to do one of several things....you have to be there to observe heats daily or even 2x a day; or You have to have handling facilities to put them through the chute to do shots etc to synch them to do timed AI. Or you need to have a bull so that they are "self-sufficient" cattle and don't need you to "take care of them".

As an "absentee landowner" you are looking at things in a way that will ensure that you don't get along with anyone; and if you are reluctant to ASK the ONE neighbor you trust, then PAY HIM to take care of things for you. I get that you bought it, and are perfectly entitled to not have neighbors using it as they see fit. But what if there is a problem and the tank goes dry and you are away at work....a neighbor could be going by and notice something wrong and call you. If there is no one that you trust to check on them and something goes wrong, then they could all be dead before you know it. And if there is that much of a problem now with others on the land, what do you think is going to happen if you have cattle there that are not checked on daily????? NOT SAYING ANY OF THE NEIGHBORS ARE BAD PEOPLE, but there are such things as rustling and animals getting shot....He// it happens here in Va....

You are fine with solid colored animals if you KNOW they are going to produce the spotted calves you want... HUH??? Even using sexed semen DOESN"T guarantee a heifer calf, it only enhances the odds....Have yet to be sure of a color on a calf....most black angus bred to black angus will give you black calves...but a recessive red gene can throw a red calf out of nowhere.

Jan, don't be too hard on him. He wants pasture art for a hobby not an income.
I think he's on the right track with polled Beefmaster Cows and shorthorn bull for what he/she wants.

Son of Butch":3pqjaem0 said:
I think he's on the right track with polled Beefmaster Cows and shorthorn bull for what he wants.

But he doesn't want a bull, he wants to breed AI and.....Sure pasture art is fine...but reading it was making me go in circles....sorry I am too literal I guess. :hide: :???:

farmerjan":1e02jwo8 said:
Son of Butch":1e02jwo8 said:
I think he's on the right track with polled Beefmaster Cows and shorthorn bull for what he wants.

But he doesn't want a bull, he wants to breed AI and.....Sure pasture art is fine...but reading it was making me go in circles....sorry I am too literal I guess. :hide: :???:
Yeah, yeah but chuckling to myself is sometimes enough entertainment to keep me coming back to this site. :)
Just like neighbor's wife trying to compliment my brother on having biggest cow in the pasture she ever saw.
He answered "You must mean the Bull."
The sweet gal replied, "No, no this one didn't have any horns."

You might look around and find some of the original Simmentals. They were spotted, either red and white or yellow and white, before most of them mysteriously turned black.

Found a heifer and a bred cow I like the looks of. Heifer is 3/4 shorthorn unk other. The bred cow is registered beefmaster bred back to a Waygu bull. Will see how that calf looks to determine how long it stays around.

RWT":2mas1hkd said:
Found a heifer and a bred cow I like the looks of. Heifer is 3/4 shorthorn unk other. The bred cow is registered beefmaster bred back to a Waygu bull. Will see how that calf looks to determine how long it stays around.

Would not plan on selling that calf... if you don't like the looks of it, put it in your own freezer and you may be pleasantly surprised by how good it tastes and end up liking it a lot more after its' hide is removed.

You can get some weird patterns out of SH. When I was haying my neighbors SH this morning I took this thee calves half Angus/SH and the Holstein looking heifer with is half Brangus/ SH.

Caustic Burno":2jpr4dl7 said:
Good luck with spotted calves paying for themselves your going to get your clock cleaned at the sale barn with horns you might have to pay them to take them.
It cost a buck fifty a day to keep a good cow or bad one standing in the pasture.
Keep your guns holstered Caustic....they gonna be pets.... :D. Now fire away....

Latest posts