How to meter grain weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richardin52

Reaction score
My son and I are interested in buying and setting up a truck to deliver bulk grain in my area. Never done anything like this before and am wondering how they keep track of how much is offloaded. For instance if we have a 10 ton truck and someone wants 3 ton dropped how do we know when we hit 3 ton?

Also is there anywhere we should look to find a good used truck to do this?

Thanks for the help

Richardin52":37pocjfo said:
My son and I are interested in buying and setting up a truck to deliver bulk grain in my area. Never done anything like this before and am wondering how they keep track of how much is offloaded. For instance if we have a 10 ton truck and someone wants 3 ton dropped how do we know when we hit 3 ton?

Also is there anywhere we should look to find a good used truck to do this?

Thanks for the help

To answer your question I have a truck i can deliver 3 cords of wood on what i do is stack each cord individually and use a steel plate behind each cord that is locked into place. if someone wants one cord open the steel plate its hinged and dump offf that load. However with grain its a whole different ball game and alot of work to figure out how much you have dropped whether it be too little or too much and worry about cheating yourself or the person or your next customer. The easiest solution is get you a portable scale like DOT has and weight your truck as your dumping which will quickly get old or do it the old fashion tried and true way of hauling one load for one customer at a time. If I understand your question correctly as in you keep 10 tons on a truck and only want to off load 3. First off do you have a CDL ? trucks that haul 10 tons all I have ever had or seen require a CDL just remember if the gvwr is over 26,000 you will need a CDL.

what kind of grain? bushel of oat is 32# bushel of corn 60# You will need an auger on the truck and will probably be better to sell buy the bushel. the customer will have some sort of container to put it in and all you will need is the capacity of that container which is fairly easy to determine.

It is weighed before loading - or on a drive over scale.

The loads are kept separate so each person gets the proper amount.

That is why it is usually cheaper to buy a full load than a part load - less handling.

What you are doing is what I would call a high risk venture unless you have a bunch of clients lined up ahead of time or a couple feed mills looking for a trucker. It is a very, very competitive business.

All our mills around here have their own trucks

Bez

snake67":1148y8ad said:
It is weighed before loading - or on a drive over scale.

The loads are kept separate so each person gets the proper amount.

That is why it is usually cheaper to buy a full load than a part load - less handling.

What you are doing is what I would call a high risk venture unless you have a bunch of clients lined up ahead of time or a couple feed mills looking for a trucker. It is a very, very competitive business.

All our mills around here have their own trucks

Bez

Starting any business now that requires fuel and a truck is a high risk venture imo

Latest posts