how to make my own mix

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":fu1m6uhd said:
Use to be a company over in NE Texas that mixed liter with corn and dried bakery products and cooked it. After cooking and drying it still smelled like CS. :lol2:
Aggies.......;(

Kingfisher":17sfpdh5 said:
TexasBred":17sfpdh5 said:
Use to be a company over in NE Texas that mixed liter with corn and dried bakery products and cooked it. After cooking and drying it still smelled like CS. :lol2:
Aggies.......;(

Probably. Gotta me messin' with something all the time...sort of like the "maroon" blue bonnets we hae out here. :lol2:

Needs to be composted 21 days and temps above 130. I dumped 15 tons in a field to come back and spread later and when I came back it was gone, cows ate it. Smells like money here in N.Alabama. we had about 150 broiler houses in 10 radius till the tornado come thru in April.

Chicken feed is mostly grain and corn. I have heard that chickens only process about 25 - 30 percent of what they eat so 70 - 75 percent is still usable feed. I have heard of stacked chicken house were the chickens on top eat feed and the chickens underneath eat chicken poo or 70 - 75 percent feed. I dont think I could stand to feed it to my cows and then eat the cows but it is a viable option.

thendrix":2uwrjuqa said:
Chicken feed is mostly grain and corn. I have heard that chickens only process about 25 - 30 percent of what they eat so 70 - 75 percent is still usable feed. I have heard of stacked chicken house were the chickens on top eat feed and the chickens underneath eat chicken poo or 70 - 75 percent feed. I dont think I could stand to feed it to my cows and then eat the cows but it is a viable option.
Depending on the age of the chicks chicken feed can be as high as 20% crude protein. Chickens actually convert feed to gain very effeciently. Not unusual to get a lb. of gain out of 2 lbs. of feed. The are nasty eaters tho and waste about as much as they actually eat by simply knocking it out of the feeder.

Not to get off subject but our Cornish cross broilers consume about 20 lbs. of feed in 8 weeks with a live weight of 8 lbs. Needless to say they are very effecient. Maybe they were referring to layers which are no where nearly as effecient

sassafras manor":fr4kczis said:
Not to get off subject but our Cornish cross broilers consume about 20 lbs. of feed in 8 weeks with a live weight of 8 lbs. Needless to say they are very effecient. Maybe they were referring to layers which are no where nearly as effecient
They're efficient too....but they're putting a lot of energy into producing eggs instead of gain.

I am in eastern North Carolina where chicken farms is a big business and I have never heard of feeding chicken litter to cattle. Going to talk with NC State on that one.

I just think I'm in shock.... never would have guessed this was being done... I yell at my dog for nabbing a wad of chicken poo off the floor in the barn... I guess I should stop hollering at her!