how to make my own mix

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I want to be able to make my own feed mix with corn that I produce. I do all of the labor my self, so I grind the corn with the cob and put it in bags of 88 pounds each=40kg. I mix it with a bag of 40kg that I buy with 40% protein in it. Can someone help me make two formulas one for weight gain and the second one for growth.

I want to know what percentage of protein I need for weight gain and growth.

Thanks for the help

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that will calculate rations and give estimated performance. I use the 3rd one from the top and you may wish to download the instructions also. As it is from the US, it is in pounds not kg, so some conversion may be necessary.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/software/

Hope this is helpful.

dorian_pantoja":1oibpvsg said:
I want to be able to make my own feed mix with corn that I produce. I do all of the labor my self, so I grind the corn with the cob and put it in bags of 88 pounds each=40kg. I mix it with a bag of 40kg that I buy with 40% protein in it. Can someone help me make two formulas one for weight gain and the second one for growth.

I want to know what percentage of protein I need for weight gain and growth.

Thanks for the help
You're feeding much more protein than is necessary. What size are your calves that will be eating the mix and what else will you be feeding them?

I am mixing 440 pounds of corn/cob with 88 pounds of 40% Protein and 88 pounds of chicken litter. I started mixing the chicken litter today but some people say it's bad for cattle?

The cattle that I want to take to slaughter are around 600 pounds.

Also can you help me develop a mix for calves that are around 450 pounds for growth?

Thanks for any help

dorian_pantoja":15rqog09 said:
I am mixing 440 pounds of corn/cob with 88 pounds of 40% Protein and 88 pounds of chicken litter. I started mixing the chicken litter today but some people say it's bad for cattle?

The cattle that I want to take to slaughter are around 600 pounds.

Also can you help me develop a mix for calves that are around 450 pounds for growth?

Thanks for any help
Did I read that right? You're mixing chicken litter in your feed for cattle? That is a BIG no no :!: :!:

[/quote]
Did I read that right? You're mixing chicken litter in your feed for cattle? That is a BIG no no :!: :!:[/quote]

It may be a big no, no....but you can bet there are many, many, many folks doing it across the Southeastern US. It would only be a potential problem if the chickens had been fed animal by-products.

A lot of cattle down here are fed chicken litter or gallanasa as they call it. I don´t do it, but others swear by it. Heck, the chicken farms sell the stuff at a premium.

I started mixing chicken litter because it was recommended by the place were I buy my cattle feed. At this point I get mix massages, some people say its bad and some say it's ok. I guess I will wait for more people to respond to my post and make my decision. I thank everyone that has responded so far for their input.

There was a lot of it recommended and fed in the US until BSE hit

If I have enough protein with my 440 pounds of corn and 88 pounds of protein to finish my steers then I can do without the chicken litter. The chicken litter adds about $6.00 to my cost per mix.

dorian_pantoja":3lx0tb77 said:
If I have enough protein with my 440 pounds of corn and 88 pounds of protein to finish my steers then I can do without the chicken litter. The chicken litter adds about $6.00 to my cost per mix.
Dump it. The ground ear corn and supplement pellets are plenty.

Chicken litter feed is still very much alive in the southeast. Lots of folks feeding 50% soy huls and 50% chicken litter to start then working back to 100% chicken litter to suplement lactating cows and growing calves. With $8 corn I suspect more to start feeding litter.

alabama":3b17l0af said:
Chicken litter feed is still very much alive in the southeast. Lots of folks feeding 50% soy huls and 50% chicken litter to start then working back to 100% chicken litter to suplement lactating cows and growing calves. With $8 corn I suspect more to start feeding litter.
Is that even legal?

novaman":274gepeb said:
alabama":274gepeb said:
Is that even legal?
Yes it is legal with no restrictions. Just wish I had some chicken houses close to me. I would much rather fertelize with chicken litter and would feed too but it stinks too bad to be around all the time. PPPPP__UUUUU.

Use to be a company over in NE Texas that mixed liter with corn and dried bakery products and cooked it. After cooking and drying it still smelled like CS. :lol2:

around here the land grant university used to recommend adding it to forage at the time of ensiling to get a protein boost but they have not made that recommendation out loud in quite a while.

I don't think it was ever advocated to feed directly here. One of our now retired professors did the pioneering research on using it in silage years ago.

now it has gotten pricy and is in high demand as fertilizer so the economics have changed.

I guess I would be concerned with what kind of pathogens or other unwanted stuff would come with feeding it to ruminants.

novaman":2afhss4k said:
alabama":2afhss4k said:
Is that even legal?
yep I know a guy that is feeding it to a bunch of steers he mixes it with gluten pellets and soyhull pellets
The University of Missouri formulated his mix for him

http://extension.missouri.edu/publicati ... px?P=G2077

Key Points:

As a result of the first case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in the United States in December 2003, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) temporarily banned the feeding of poultry litter to beef cattle. The temporary ban was put in place to allow the FDA time to assess the risks to human health associated with the practice. Ruminant protein was permitted to be fed to poultry at the time the temporary ban was put in place. Some scientists were concerned that the infectious agents of BSE could be passed to beef cattle via spilled feed or manure. Since that time, FDA has mandated the removal of all tissues that have been shown to carry infectious agents of BSE (i.e., specified risk materials) from poultry diets. As a result, the practical possibility of transmitting BSE to beef cattle via poultry litter was deemed to be zero by FDA. Poultry litter was again approved as a feedstuff for beef cattle in October 2005.

Poultry litter is an acceptable source of protein for beef cattle, and it is typically inexpensive relative to other high-protein feedstuffs. Rations containing poultry litter should be carefully balanced to ensure that nutritional requirements of cattle are met and that the potential for mineral excesses is minimized. Keep in mind that feeding poultry litter to beef cattle, while a sound nutritional management option, carries with it certain stigmas that may cause beef consumers to become alarmed. Proper processing and storage to inhibit growth of pathogenic organisms and prevent incorporation of pharmaceutical residues are essential to ensure that poultry litter is a safe and high-quality feed for beef cattle.

Latest posts