How to get started feeding out calves

Help Support CattleToday:

GG2

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting a feedlot, we usually sell calves at around 6-650lbs. We have about 200 head. How big of a feed lot do I need and what is good to feed them? I live in Iowa if that makes a difference. I have an ethonal plant 20 miles away so I thought maybe wet distillers would be a good route mixed with hay. What are your thoughts? Thanks

I wish I was 20 miles away from an ethanol plant or a large brewery. I have brewers grain trucked in. Trucking is the biggest expense.
You may try contacting the ethanol plant and see what kind of price you can get buying in large quantities on a regular basis. Wet spent grain is the most affordable feed I can buy.
Hope this works out for you.

Wet gluten is a good way to go with calves we have it contracted at $42 a ton delivered out of ADM in iowa. Have heard distillers are that price or cheaper and have used in the past but like the gluten on calves a little more. Gluten/ distillers, hay and a pound or so of ground corn is a good mix we usually add some corn silage also.

If you have them in a feedlot with no grass they need everything they can eat but at least 3% of their body weight. I discourage feeding just gluten but would mix it into a ration at no more than half,

GG2":3szhjgei said:
I have an ethanol plant 20 miles away so I thought maybe wet distillers would be a good route mixed with hay. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Byproduct prices tend to be seasonal. You will want to check your source, and consider mixing in some fiber and then bagging it wet during the summer.

An unsurfaced feed lot it is recommended to have 300 to 800 sqft per head , so it would need to be from 1.5 acres to 4 acres in size , it would require 400 to 500 ft of bunk space, it is recommended to be hard surfaced because of mud , needs water and shade, The first thing I would do is to check what has to be done to meet state and EPA regulations to have such an operation , especially if the EPA passes the new clean water act, with each violations being fined $37,000 a day. :cry2: If you have not expressed you disapproval of the new EPA proposal to you local elected official , it is only a short time left to do so, It seems to be strong support to pass the new rule, if passed it will affect all landowners in the USA , and will change the way all farmers and ranch owners operate.

Usually get a ration with a pelleted starter feed coming in for a week or two with little gluten to get going. After that they get roughly about 60-65% wet gluten and 30% hay with remainder supplement and corn. This ration changes every month or so as calves grow.

Definetly find a feed company with good nutritionist who can put a ration together for you depending on calf size, breed and history. Also there can be a lot of difference between byproducts at the plants and they know about those differences.

The one we use prints a predicted feed intake sheet that tells you what amount of feed the calves should eat each day until you sell them. Saves the screwing around I used to do getting them on the right amount of feed.

I don't know all the details of the clean water act but have heard bad things for livestock producers. We raise 30,000hd of hogs and have a local activist group on us 24/7.

Yes the EPA has been pushing the DNR to crack down on farmers more in Iowa already. Especially those around the 1000 head CAFO limit like you guys. The water bill just gives another reason to go after more and smaller farms.

Latest posts