How to get cows to use the fly rub

Help Support CattleToday:

quartermeter

Reaction score
I have it where they have to go under the rub to get to water. But I haven't seen them use it. I have rub over a 12 foot span and roped off another 12-foot so they have to go under rub to get the water. They just go on to the Rope. Going to tighten and lower the Rope so they can't go under it. They have rubbed on the ends of the rub a little bit. Guess it'll take time.

Most rubs I've seen including both mine are 10'. Make the opening only as narrow as the rub itself even if it mean blocking part of the opening off with teeposts. Generally, if flies are bothering them, once they go under the rub a few times, they'll prefer to use it on their own, if for no other reason than they aren't afraid of it any more.

We have the little shed mineral feeders, and we just put one at the entry. Of course it doesn't get all the way down their back, but it does a good job on the face, neck, and partially down the back.

herofan":1ml6zxew said:
We have the little shed mineral feeders, and we just put one at the entry. Of course it doesn't get all the way down their back, but it does a good job on the face, neck, and partially down the back.
If your using the right stuff it doesn't have to get all the way down their back. You get it in their system and its carried all over.
The really good pour ons don't cover the whole animal but they keep flies off the whole animal.

jedstivers":7490dhds said:
herofan":7490dhds said:
If your using the right stuff it doesn't have to get all the way down their back. You get it in their system and its carried all over.
The really good pour ons don't cover the whole animal but they keep flies off the whole animal.
Same principle as the stuff you squirt on a dogs neck for fleas/ticks

M-5":uaamvlsi said:
Hang bullets on the ends , but I take 2 pieces of hog panel and zip tie to ends so the gap is only 7 or 8' where they go thru

Good tip M-5, I'll give that a try.

Latest posts