How to get coat shiny???

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I have some yearling Angus bull calves and a couple have some dull coats.
They have been dewormed and are on a quality show feed.
I have been looking at some Sun Glo products and Healthy Coat.
I don't have the facilities to brush them. Any thoughts?

I don't know the names of the products but I have watched them prepare cattle for show - they make more cosmetics for cattle than they do for women who aspire to look elegant.

But in all cases, you are going to need facilities to hold them while they are applied.

I have hand brushes for mine. Mine are halter broke so easy to do. I brush out dead hair and dirt. The stimulation causes healthier pelage.

Most oils fed will inprove hair coat. I believe rice bran oil is said to be the best, I just use soy oil.

msplmtneer,
Your grandfather spoiled his animals.
I'm sure the egg was icing on the cake...but he knew what he was doing...it worked.

Gator, watch for over-conditioning with oil top dress. If your show feed and mineral program aren't helping their coats, its time to re-evaluate it. I like Purina honor show chow, but its expensive and if it didn't work, I sure as heck would find a feed that did....it's to big of a part of the puzzle to let it have marginal results. Aside from that, find a place to mount some brushes. In leiu of the sweeper brushes, you could lag some barn broom heads (the super stiff, long plastic bristle ones) on a 4x4 post in the middle of a pen. This is what we do in the loafing barns for the goats and it works great.

Hogtiming,
I will get him a dose of Multimin...they are on a pretty good mineral already but you never know.

Boot Jack,
Thanks for the idea.

If I'm trying to get a horse ready to go to a big sale I'll start supplementing him with Calf-Manna. It will make them slick and really shine. It would work for cattle as well.

texan@heart":2t7bi1yi said:
If I'm trying to get a horse ready to go to a big sale I'll start supplementing him with Calf-Manna. It will make them slick and really shine. It would work for cattle as well.
Most of the nationwide feed companies make a product now consisting of nothing but stabilized rice bran and ground flaxseed. Works very well on horses and cattle.

Thanks to my Texas friends...
Calf-Manna brings back memories. It has really hung around for a long time.
I'll have to go to Rural King and get some. When I raised horses it was Wheat Germ Oil.

I have Tractor Supply and Rural King so I will see about the SRB and flaxseed.

Thanks again for all the help.

Latest posts