how to calculate acres?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
When I look at a property on Google maps isn't there a program or something I can measure how many acres it is?

you could scale it but it wont be right on the money, look for something on the aerial view that says 1"=1000' or something 1 acre is roughly 209' x 209'. Remember 1320' which is a quarter mile equals 40 acres roughly, when squared 1320x1320.

The local extension office has a pen that can be used to trace the outline of the parcel and provide a pretty accurate acreage count. They have the maps also and they are likely already calculated.

On a small odd shaped piece we put a mark on the tractor tire, measured the distance around the tire: then drove around and counted the revolutions, did the math.
Our extension maps weren't real accurate due to field roads and buffer strips we had pulled out.

Betty":158absz7 said:
On a small odd shaped piece we put a mark on the tractor tire, measured the distance around the tire: then drove around and counted the revolutions, did the math.
Our extension maps weren't real accurate due to field roads and buffer strips we had pulled out.

That's actually pretty clever. Wouldn't use it for anything legal, but for estimating the acreage in a field to be crossfenced or the part of a field to be fertilized and/or planted (versus the part inside the fence but in forest or ponds) that could be pretty close too accurate enough and a heck of a lot quicker than doing it by hand.

Mo has a mapping website that I do all of that stuff with. Slicker then snot. It's through the extension or one of the universitys.

I am sure sometime or another it has had a survey done on part if not all of the sides find out what township, section and range and head to the court house for some research even if you havent had a survey most surveys are filed publicly you can find or pull some info off the neighboring land like distances...Good Luck.

I use a free program I downloaded called GEPath. Draw your perimeters with the Google polygon tool and save the data. Open GEPath and open the perimeter files with it and it will give you a pretty accurate acreage. I wasn't able for some reason to get GEPath to work in my Vista machine but works great in my XP computer. I ended up mapping all of my pastures, sorting wooded areas from grass. I could also sort off low swampy areas or other non-productive areas to get a better account of actual grazing acres.
http://www.sgrillo.net/googleearth/gepath.htm

Latest posts