also..
kinda new to the cattle business.
just outta curiousity
how do you bag a steer?
ive heard many people talking about doing it
and ive never heard of doing it
im just curious as to what it is and how to do it
thanks! :eek:

I guess you'ld use one of those new can't tear glad plastic bags and push him in slowly

Seems a easy question to me :cboy: I would rest the 270 on a fencepost, aim at the base of the ear, take a deep breath, let out about half, squeeze the trigger.

dun":566fdq8y said:
I guess you'ld use one of those new can't tear glad plastic bags and push him in slowly

Dun I read the question before no one answered and wanted to respond that I had never heard of such a thing but I thought I might look foolish, so I waited on someone who knows way more than I to respond. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Nowland Farms":2aekpev7 said:
dun":2aekpev7 said:

Dun I read the question before no one answered and wanted to respond that I had never heard of such a thing but I thought I might look foolish, so I waited on someone who knows way more than I to respond. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Obviously nothing stops me from looking foolish!

tough to band a steer :)

Sorry couldn't resist poking some fun at your expense

I think he means castrating too.
Male calves(bulls) come with testicles that are in a "bag/sack" of hide.
To castrate them(ie turn them into a steer) you remove the testicles.
Can be done several ways
Two of the most common are putting a rubber band around the sack and the top of the testicles and let them rot off.
Or you can cut the bag and pull the testicles out.

I have heard of bagging ewes- it means to reach under and feel their jugs to estimate when they are going to drop(can't see thru the wool).
Can't see any reason to be bagging steers- and cows you can easily see their bags so theres no need to go a baggin.

Two in hand...release the band.

Keep a pair of small dikes handy just in case you loose one and have to start over....wire cutters not two lavendar ladies.

Dmc

I've heard of sacking a horse (bad practice!). I was wondering if that is what he meant....

backhoeboogie":33otq8un said:
Hopefully he'll come back and clarify his question. We are all waiting!!!! :lol:

Indeed, and we are all famous for our patience ~ yes? :p

i think he is talking about bagging after you butcher. what types of bags and the process. Cold be wrong and more than likely am.

Only time I ever bagged a steer... or at least a calf was when it was dehydrated and I had to run a tube down its throat and hold up the bag of electrolytes. The only bagging I can think of.

im not sure for sure...
it sounded like something that you would do on a regular basis to check for something.
im not sure what it is, i was just curious.

mnmtranching":1hkb3kel said:
Seems a easy question to me :cboy: I would rest the 270 on a fencepost, aim at the base of the ear, take a deep breath, let out about half, squeeze the trigger.

Thats a good one :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a friend who is trying to learn about ranching from a book, it is funny on the terms or words they use. It might as well be a different language.

well i dont know how much your really gonna learn about ranching from a book. thats something u pretty much have to learn hands on. you could learn alot about feeding cattle from a book but you still need to try some stuff cuz not everything works for every set of cattle. im not a huge fan of books about ranching :lol: :idea:

My thoughts are since it is a steer it's already de-bagged and to Bag one would be to try to put it back on.
But how to go about this procedure I would'nt possibly know how. But I would like to watch the operation.

Cal

Latest posts