How Times Have Changed

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was 8 years old a friends just walking sized baby pulled a pan of boiling water off the staff on to himself. Horrible burns over most of his body. For a couple of years when I wasn;t at school I was his primary caretaker, feeding, changing, bandages, bathing and comforting him.

Things are changing in ways, we haven't discussed. Plenty of late teens, and early 20's, that have never: swung a hammer, no idea whatsoever how an internal combustion engine operates, not even the softest of electrical skills. Dad doesn't get out in the driveway, and put a starter on, while junior watches any more. You hire everything done.
The further each generation gets from the farm, the less they understand about agriculture. My kids brought in the craziest Biology assignment I've ever. They have to prepare a non gmo, all natural lunch, and bring it to school. Some idioc comment on the assignment, that said (methane "aka cow farts"). I've been debating all day, to Esther set up a parent teacher conference, or offer to come guest speak.

Bigfoot":3n1v8ebn said:
Things are changing in ways, we haven't discussed. Plenty of late teens, and early 20's, that have never: swung a hammer, no idea whatsoever how an internal combustion engine operates, not even the softest of electrical skills. Dad doesn't get out in the driveway, and put a starter on, while junior watches any more. You hire everything done.
The further each generation gets from the farm, the less they understand about agriculture. My kids brought in the craziest Biology assignment I've ever. They have to prepare a non gmo, all natural lunch, and bring it to school. Some idioc comment on the assignment, that said (methane "aka cow farts"). I've been debating all day, to Esther set up a parent teacher conference, or offer to come guest speak.

I agree, and think about it often that the further removed from the farm each generation gets, the less understanding of common knowledge they have. Therein likely lies the reasoning or lack there of that ridiculous biology assignment. All of this all natural non gmo stuff is admittedly over my simple head. In my logic I would say that the assignment is part of a slanted/biased agenda either by way of the curriculum itself and or the teacher. If you know other parents of children in that class maybe there would be strength in numbers.

Bigfoot":1vdj96g7 said:

Cows are demonized, yet idling cars, trucks, taxis, planes, etc in NYC, LA, etc are all fine. :bs:

I remember being in high school after Columbine and kids still brought guns to school and left them in their vehicles. All the administration knew, I don't know how they couldn't have, and we had a 0 tolerance policy, yet nothing was ever said or done. I can't imagine that happening today. I also remember using library books to write reports, not the internet.

My dad tells a story of going to elementary school in the early 50s. He said a nurse would visit the school from time to time to give shots. He said there was one boy who always ran off and wasn't seen the rest of the day. There was no search or alarm sounded.

I asked what if he had gotten hurt. Dad said it would have just been on him for running off.

Can you imagine the different reaction if that happened today?

Back then there was this opinion that you were responsible for your actions and looking out for things around you.If a car slid on the ice and hit you,you were questioned about why you were that close to the road when it was slick.If your gun went off in the parking lot and blew out the window,you were questioned about why that gun was loaded and the safety off.Plus,you would be paying for it-not your parents.
It was called personal responsibility and it plus common sense is a rare commodity in some circles today.
Seems like farmers,loggers,heavy equipment people or anyone else who has to work to keep this country going do have kids who grow up with this idea.
I am happy both my children have taught their kids these things along with a work ethic while showing them what a loving ,responsible parent is.They also have jobs which they take seriously and pay their own bills.We're here in a pinch but don't need to worry.
End of rant.I just get aggravated with the idea of"it's everyone's fault but mine" or "I should be able to do whatever,whenever and someone else should make it happen".

Latest posts