How soon to creep feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey board,

Turned my cows out on pasture about a week ago now. How soon do most of you pull the creep feeder out? LOTS of grass, but would like to see the calves put on some good wieght, and maybe take a little stress off the cow.

cornstalk":2nvpwnlt said:
Hey board,

Turned my cows out on pasture about a week ago now. How soon do most of you pull the creep feeder out? LOTS of grass, but would like to see the calves put on some good wieght, and maybe take a little stress off the cow.

If you've got plenty of good grass, I wouldn't put it out until 30-60 days before weaning.

cornstalk":3igv04qz said:
Hey board,

We don't creep feed, rarely have a need to.

I agree with Mike. We usually try to get the creep feeder out in the middle of August. They really don't seem to find it until the first of September, and we will wean in the middle of October. We think it gives us a boost in weaning weights regardless of grass condition and think it pays, but we also grow our own corn.

Our local nutrionist always suggested staying away from oats in the actual creep ration, although some still start them out on it, as mixed in a sweet feed, to get them in the bunk. He said it is a common creep feed ingerdient, but from a nutrition stand point, he didn't believe it did much and raised the cost of gain.

the first calf heifers get a creep feeder right away. i assume heifers aren't milking as heavily, and I want them to breed back quickly, and they are in a lot for about 3 months after calving. so when the mom's go to the bunks to eat the calves go to the creep feeder. The creep goes to pasture, but they don't really hit it hard till about 60 days before weaning, then it's up to #8 a day intake. I think the grass looses power, and isn't as plentiful at that point.

We leave one in the pasture from birth till sale, we put very little feed in it until about 45 days from weaning only to get them used to going in it.

Latest posts