How soon can we expect a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
I have raised feeders but am new to the breeding part of cattle. I have a cow who is having her second calf. She has had a mucos discharge since February 25, vulva is loose, tail head raised. Is she even close?

Still nothing :( It's been almost 18 days. Hmmmm. Last night she had an episode where she was switching her tail and kicking at her belly--lasted for about a minute and nothing the rest of the night.

When is she due?
If, for some reason, you have no idea ~ unless she starts acting sick, I would not mess with her. Someone will suggest you palp, I will suggest you do not.

Had her palpitated on Febr 1 and vet said she was 60 days out. I am nervous I guess because last year, her first calf (she was a new mom) presented back hooves first.

Ha! OK ~ Well she has plenty of time to go then, and last years calf position has no bearing on this one. I am nervous too and last year we had no problems. I will tell you "Don't worry, she will be fine!" then hope mine do OK. But really ~ she should have an easier time this year than last, she has experience now and you know that she can do it. Give her time.

Inclimate weather worked for me last week. Had 7 born in 5 days. Found 2 Monday morning after 4/10 inch of rain, 2 more Thursday morning before 6/10 inch rain and 3 more were found Friday morning after our famous central Texas snowstorm. Some times it just works that way.

dburkhart":1np4ougq said:
Had her palpitated on Febr 1 and vet said she was 60 days out. I am nervous I guess because last year, her first calf (she was a new mom) presented back hooves first.

eh vets and anybody in the palp business can be wrong so easily, and if they WERE right you still got two weeks at least to go. Swelling and slime are good indicators of SOMETHING reproductive, but different cows do different things - keep watching and as long as she is healthy otherwise - eating drinking pooping - try to be patient.

Had a healthy little heifer on the 18th--it seemed like the cow was discharging forever. Now I have a heifer that is bagged up and teats "pressurized" but no mucus at all. I am keeping individual records on all of them in hopes it will help next year.

dburkhart":37r37rqd said:
I am keeping individual records on all of them in hopes it will help next year.
Sure it'll help! It'll give you something to read while you wait! ;-)
Nah ~ it is a good idea. All records are helpful.

Good for new baby heifer ~ yes?

The heifer due now that you mention, is hard to know where she is at ~ they all present differently. You can only do as you are, and keep watching/waiting. Trust nothing as a sure sign, except 2 feet out the back.

Best of Luck!

Going thru same thing right now. Cow ready to calve with 3rd baby. First two calves came right on schedule with some very good getting ready to birth signs from mama. This time around I would have sworn that with the signs she was showing 5 days ago I would have a calf on the ground by now but still waiting. Flood warnings for my area this evening due to rain/snow mix. Looks like I will be able to test that inclement weather theory.

It worked for me the first week of March. Had about 7 born right before and during 2 cold rains and a snow. Two were cows I was not even watching yet.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

By golly it worked :clap: Started raining at noon calf on ground by 2:00. Mama and baby both doing well :banana:

Latest posts