how quick can you get a cow to breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav

Reaction score
i just had 2 cows to calve a week ago wanting to see if i can get them to calve earlier next year how early do you think they would breed back. would feeding grain help them to start cycling sooner. all advice needed.

cleav":q5sokrq1 said:
i just had 2 cows to calve a week ago wanting to see if i can get them to calve earlier next year how early do you think they would breed back. would feeding grain help them to start cycling sooner. all advice needed.

there are a lot of factors in why or why not that a cows breeds back on time, etc, but

imo, the most important thing in getting a cow to breed back fast is her condition at the time of calving and a good mineral program....

if she is in a good body condition and is getting plenty of minerals, then i am not sure there is anything you can do that is more important. (except turn the bull in with her :lol: ) on the other side... some cows are more fertile than others and will naturally breed faster, but those are the things imo, that will help..

if they are lacking in condition at the time of birth, then you may have to work hard to improve condition first and/or hope they cycle quickly.

jt

on how fast they will breed back?? depends like i just said, but a healthy cow that is fertile, will many time be cycling around 45 days, give or take...

i have some that will breed back in 3 weeks and some in 75 days.

75 days is not that bad though... if you think about it... that produces a calf at about the same time every year.

good luck

jt

Most livestock producers want a calf out of her every 12 months. So you can work back from here.

A cow may start cycling soon after calving. But, you want to give here time to repair her uterus. I have seen 45 days suggested often.

Bret

thanks for the advice i keep a trace mineral block in with the cattle at all times the body condition is pretty good. is this the kind of mineral you would use.

cleav":141t7ckf said:
thanks for the advice i keep a trace mineral block in with the cattle at all times the body condition is pretty good. is this the kind of mineral you would use.

no, it is mostly salt... the best imo is the loose minerals you buy in 50# sacks, and i learned something just last week on these boards about them... it says on the sack :oops: which i didnt read... no extra salt needed.. i went to that and my cattle appear now to be back to eating the minerals like they should.

jt