How often to bottle feed a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JRM

Reaction score
Had a cow calf out this weekend and the cow did not make. Had to pull calf. Calf was able to nurse one time from mother. I went and got some Colostrum from feed store and gave it to the calf. I been feeding 3 times a day, it been a long long time since I had to bottle feed one and forgot how often I should feed. I can keep up feeding 3 times but if twice is ok that sure be better.
Calf seems to be doing good, His leg was hurt pulling him, but had no choice as mother decided to calf on a pond dam and in a bunch of treees. I was afraid time I got every thing right to pull calf he would not have made it.
I going to try to get him to start eating some milk replacer type grain in a few days. I was hoping he could steal a little milk from some other mothers, but do not think he has been able to.
Is feeding 3 times best or will twice do? also any other suggestions welcomed
Thanks

You're going to get different opinions here. I know what a hassel it is, but I think feeding 3 times a day really is the best for them. Calf is still so young yet too. I would keep it at 3 for as long as you can do it. I fed at 0600, 1600 and 2200. I was always eager when they got to where I thought they could do well with twice.

Keep grain for it fresh as well as water.

Don't bank on other cows sharing. Sounds like it is still with the herd? Thats a good thing, they do better in company of others, not always possible ~ but again, what is best.

Good luck!

I lost a cow the same way just a week ago. The cow lived several days but I did not save her.

The calf only weighed 51 lbs and was probably a little premie IMHO. Couldn't get colostrums in him at the pasture. Threw feed sacks in the backseat of the truck and hauled him home mentally prepared to force feed him. Thawed out frozen colostrums and massaged the heck out of him with a towel. The towel seemed to stimulate him. He took two pints of colostrums (no force feeding at all) and two more pints 6 hours later at which point he seemed to want more. 8 hours later I gave him 3 pints.

I kept on a 3 times a day feed for 3 days on frozen milk out of the nurse cow. It exhausted my colostrums supply. I grafted him onto the nurse cow and it was cumbersome. He wanted to nurse from me because he was used to the bottle. I'd put a finger in his mouth and then pull him to the teat.

Now I feed the nurse cow a bucket of feed in the a.m. and he's on it, plus her heifer calf that weighs 130 lbs or so. (quite a size difference). 12 hours later I put out a bucket of feed and cycle again. Generally I have 4 calves on her and seperate the calves. Since there is only two, both are in the pen with her 24/7.

Once I am through calving, I may go and buy a couple of splits. Haven't decided yet. If I do, I will separate them from the nurse cow and feed on 12 hour cycles. That works for me.

I agree with the 3x a day bottle feeding. I try to keep one Holstein around as an emergency nurse cow, but my last one had to go about three months ago due to cancer eye, and I've not replaced her.

My opinion only, but I don't give grain this early in the game. In about four weeks I'd start a small bit of grain and hay (barn penned calves only) and watch how the calf takes to it, but to me primary nutrition is milk/milk supplement. Again, this is me. When it comes to feeding regimens for a calf, it depends on what I'm going to do with it..........is it going into my freezer, is it going to sale barn, or is it a replacement. Each gets feed differently accordingly. 'Course range calves with live momma have their milk and are exposed to grass/hay from day one. I'd really try to get her nursing on a cow with another calf, provided the cow has enough milk.

Calf will not be eating grain this early, but SOON. Getting it on a good calf starter is a good idea and will help you get it to 2 bottles a day. Will not get so hungry between feedings.

Watch that milk replacer, get GOOD quality, worth the extra it costs. Mix as recommended, but watch the weight, if your calf is small, it may not eat quite as much as it says. Adjust accordingly. Feeding 3 times a day leaves you room for a little error there.

id put the calf on morning an evening feedings.being as he is a small calf you may sour him on 3x feedings.

OK. Don't give the calf the required amount each feeding. Take what they are supposed to have each day, according to the directions on the bag, adjusted to his weight and divide it by 3. This is starting to sound like brain surgery maybe ~ but its not. You will do fine.

Flip a coin. Folks that raise hundreds of calves a year do it with twice a day feedings. But a lot of them feed from a bucket so they just aren't smart enough to know that the calf won;t do well on twice a day OR a bucket.

I don't know which way would be the best .We feed exactly 12 hrs apart .I like this if we feed at 6:00 and 6:00 if we need oral rehydration we can do that at 12:00 and at bedtime and still have a little time for sleep ( the older I get the more important that is :) ) . I think the 3X is fine,but I think it needs to be done every 8 hrs . As angie said figure how much you need for your weight calf .

Larry

bigbull338":1k2bkmlk said:
id put the calf on morning an evening feedings.being as he is a small calf you may sour him on 3x feedings.

you sour him or make him too loose because of over feeding and it will be dicey.
The milk replacer we use recommends 2X feeding. Also pellets at 4 days on free choice.

ALX.":1bpuck0u said:
you sour him or make him too loose because of over feeding and it will be dicey.
The milk replacer we use recommends 2X feeding. Also pellets at 4 days on free choice.
:shock: :? :cry2:
JMR ~ I am going to assume you understood what I was saying.
ALX ~ when I said:
Don't give the calf the required amount each feeding. Take what they are supposed to have each day, according to the directions on the bag, adjusted to his weight and divide it by 3.
What I meant was :
Don't give the calf the required amount each feeding. Take what they are supposed to have each day, according to the directions on the bag, adjusted to his weight and divide it by 3.
To put it in another way.....
The calf is NOT getting any more milk daily than is recommended by the milk replacer bag. Rather than getting 2 bigger feedings per day, which can (as you point out) increase risk of scours (IMHO), the calf is getting the daily required per directions, divided into 3 feeding. This gives the calf smaller amounts at each feeding, and decreases risk of scours (IMHO).

JMR asked if 3 times a day is best. Yes ~ 3 times a day is best.
If twice a day was what was best for the calf, the cow would nurse them twice a day.

Is twice a day an option? Yes. As dun pointed out:
Folks that raise hundreds of calves a year do it with twice a day feedings.

angie":jedl4vps said:
ALX ~ when I said:

Relax .

Roger - message understood!

Take a poll on the range and see if the inmates want 2 or 3 times a day feeding. :lol:

Key up Boss!

My profit margins haven't been all that good. If I can save a calf that should be dead by feeding it three times a day to get it going, I'm going to do it. Once he gets vitality, he goes to a twice a day ration. If buckets worked best for me, I'd use them. They don't. I use bottles because they work best.

Angie I've always thought you were about as cool as a cucumber. Keep up the good job.

ALX.":3dnffiij said:
backhoeboogie":3dnffiij said:
My profit margins haven't been all that good.

Yes, feeding 3 times as opposed to 2 will definately cure that. :lol: :lol:
ALX ~ if thats a joke, I don't get it.

Feeding 3 times a day, until calf gets its legs under it good, if it saves a calf, increases profit margin. Whats that calf worth to you? (Hypothetical question, please do not feel compelled to respond).

You said yourself that over feeding causes problems. You're not spending more on milk replacer because you are feeding the same amount. Increases probabilty of calf surviving. Live calf is worth more than dead calf = increased profit margin.

Makes sense to me.

angie":1l2ruxol said:
ALX ~ if thats a joke, I don't get it.

Feeding 3 times a day, until calf gets its legs under it good, if it saves a calf, increases profit margin. Whats that calf worth to you? (Hypothetical question, please do not feel compelled to respond).

Yes,, it was a joke .

Was going to engage bhb in a contest to see who's year is going worse, mine or his. I am using sulfa drugs and tubing daily, deadstock knows my voice on the phone, I dread going to the barn. I wish I could switch to 3 feedings and solve everything! :lol: :lol:

( BTW - all problems are my fault and the result of pee poor management, just to save some typing for some of you :lol: ).

Latest posts