How often do you have to paint the porch steps?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
The house, porch, fence all had been freshly painted about a year ago. I spent a long time Sunday scraping paint on the porch steps. Seems that wherever the rain hits the most is where the paint is coming up. Some of it is dried flaky stuff and some you can peel off and it is layers of paint and pliable. Don't know what the people we bought from did wrong if anything. Is this normal for wood porches? Only one small spot on the house that I had to paint. The fences are starting to chip some. I sure hope I don't have to do this yearly. Any advice?

The only advice I would give is to learn to live with a porch and steps that aren't painted. I finally gave up and have gotten to kind of like the "rustic" look

dun

dun":1oomsvic said:
The only advice I would give is to learn to live with a porch and steps that aren't painted. I finally gave up and have gotten to kind of like the "rustic" look

dun

I agree with dun :nod:

Do a google search for marine varnish. Its what they use for boats on wood. I'm not sure paint is such a good idea when people are treading on it.

Walt

I got concrete ones too.. but for the ones that do have wood... sometimes its the old saying. .you get what you pay for.
Doing the hard work of scraping and sanding will pay off, if you use a really good oil based enamel paint. either that, or just put some outdoor carpeting over the wood...
as far as the fence.. those nice new plastic ones look good.