How much would you pay for a turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

bkgs

Reaction score
If a guy came around in a pick up truck with turkey in the back, How much would be a good price to pay.

I don't mean price per pound as compared to a store but for the whole live turkey. I know people will pay a little extra over store prices sold in this manner but I don't know how much. I have relatives who buy turkey from 4-H auctions for thanksgiving every year and pay $100 for the turkey, but this is a donation. Out of the back of a truck is not an auction and donation environment.

How much would you pay

How old is the turkey and is it healthy? Frankly, I wouldn't buy it without knowing something about the individual. Doubt a mature live turkey is worth more than 50 cents a lb.

A regular size turkey, 15 or 20 lbs dressed. (24 week old market ready 25 lb liveweight or a 20 week 21 lb liveweight). Assume healthy market ready weight. I know .50 lb would be wholesale to the grower but I'm talking about trying to get a little extra at retail. I'm not talking about $100 for a turkey in a different situation but talking a little more about door to door sales how much would be a good retail price. What do you think. Hello from Michigan.

upfrombottom":3mj0wijk said:
ga. prime":3mj0wijk said:
:lol2: Seriously, I thought Mr. Haney had retired.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Come on now, how can you possibly draw a correlation between these board discussions and Green Acres??? :lol: :lol: :lol2:

I think it would depend a lot on the turkey-size, condition, health, etc., how much trouble its going to be for you to butcher it or how much its going to cost you to have someone do it for you. I'd think it would be a lot easier to just buy one, unless you were planning on getting into the turkey business anyways :p

AudieWyoming":3e8mr7mi said:
upfrombottom":3e8mr7mi said:
ga. prime":3e8mr7mi said:
:lol2: Seriously, I thought Mr. Haney had retired.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Come on now, how can you possibly draw a correlation between these board discussions and Green Acres??? :lol: :lol: :lol2:

Ya'll are mean.

ga. prime":26ee3cg9 said:
Lammie":26ee3cg9 said:
Ya'll are mean.
You wouldn't laugh if somebody showed up at your door with a live turkey for sale?

Laugh maybe. but call the people in the white coats with the straight jackets, and that place with the padded rooms, more than likely.. :lol: :p

hillsdown":17yg7ul0 said:
ga. prime":17yg7ul0 said:
Lammie":17yg7ul0 said:
Ya'll are mean.
You wouldn't laugh if somebody showed up at your door with a live turkey for sale?

Laugh maybe. but call the people in the white coats with the straight jackets, and that place with the padded rooms, more than likely.. :lol: :p

I had a guy show up at our place with a mangy billy goat kid in the passenger seat of his station wagon offering to knock up my show goats I had at the time. :shock:

I had a couple of desperate winos in Charlotte N.C. offer to tell me where Jimmy Hoffa was buried for $5. I got the info. :D

LoveMoo11":3oum5daw said:
I had a guy show up at our place with a mangy billy goat kid in the passenger seat of his station wagon offering to knock up my show goats I had at the time. :shock:

A goat giggolo in a shaggin wagon. The worst kind.

ga. prime":2rm4ye4x said:
I had a couple of desperate winos in Charlotte N.C. offer to tell me where Jimmy Hoffa was buried for $5. I got the info. :D

:lol: :lol:
AngusLimoX":2rm4ye4x said:
LoveMoo11":2rm4ye4x said:

A goat giggolo in a shaggin wagon. The worst kind.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: