how much to sell quarter of a cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you have a strong enough case to argue that to a federal agent? Personnally I would not want to take the chance. The way I see it they could argue that you are selling the carcass and not the live animal, just my opinion. Maybe you have already cleared this with the USDA in which case I apologize. To me it just seems safer to sell it live weight and then there is not a question about the legality. I would be the one who would end up getting the a**hole at the government to come down on me. It could all work out the same anyway. 1200 lbs X .90 = $1080 or 720 lb hanging weight x 1.50/lb = 1080. Just adjust your liveweight price up or down to fit.

SCRUBS620":2odzjh0e said:
Do you have a strong enough case to argue that to a federal agent? Personnally I would not want to take the chance. The way I see it they could argue that you are selling the carcass and not the live animal, just my opinion. Maybe you have already cleared this with the USDA in which case I apologize. To me it just seems safer to sell it live weight and then there is not a question about the legality. I would be the one who would end up getting the a**hole at the government to come down on me. It could all work out the same anyway. 1200 lbs X .90 = $1080 or 720 lb hanging weight x 1.50/lb = 1080. Just adjust your liveweight price up or down to fit.
It was the method recomended by the USDA inspector at the local butcher shop. If USDA had a problem with that method I doubt he would have recomended it. Problem with live weight is to many people feed salt and oat straw to cattle the day before slaughter. It is hard for any customer to say they are being cheated on the weight when it is hanging on a rail.

somn":xxy1f6ex said:
SCRUBS620":xxy1f6ex said:
It was the method recomended by the USDA inspector at the local butcher shop. If USDA had a problem with that method I doubt he would have recomended it. Problem with live weight is to many people feed salt and oat straw to cattle the day before slaughter. It is hard for any customer to say they are being cheated on the weight when it is hanging on a rail.

OK thats the first time I have heard it came from a USDA inspector. I can see where it would be easier for the customer to understand that they are just paying for the meat and not the waste. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts