How much should I pay?

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand

Reaction score
I'm 19. Want to know if im getting a deal or not when we buy beef and what not for a BBQ. I can't remember the prices we played last time but what do most of you pay for (by the pound):

Ground Beef:
Beef Ribs:
Sausage:
Chicken Breasts:
Sirloin Steak:
Brisket:

or whatever else you can think of. Im just curious so when I see good deals i know to get them.

Well , first off you shouldn't be eating sirloin or rib steaks in college/Uni unless you go home for dinner. Save your money...

If you guys have a freezer, can you go home and shop with your mom and/or her shop for deals and you pay her back then stock your freezer..??????

I remember the boys in the town house next to us gals eating KD all the time, but at least they had money left over to take us gals out.. ;-)

KD?
Well i dont head home to much. And my roommate buys the sirloins more than I do. But i do like to have ribs now and then. If you work hard why not have a good meal too huh? haha. I think we played about 2.30 a pound for ribs. I cant remember the price for the rest of it but we were goin to run out to a place that sells i think meat they butcher themselves cause its rather cheap. Was wondering how good of a deal it was though.

But college kids got to eat too and Mac n Cheese and Peanute butter can only last you so long :lol2:. And its cheaper than eating out...

About $3.99 for good ground beef.

Sirloin steaks any where from $2.99 on up, depending on grade.

Market trimmed briskets about $2.29 to $2.49 (on special). Regular price has been $2.69 lately.

I usually do pork spareribs, usually $3.99. Sometimes $2.99 on special.

Gotta shop the ads carefully. The local store recently had whole pork tenderloins on sale for $2.99. They are usually $4.99, and darn good eating even at that.

CattleHand":35az0oe1 said:
KD?
Well i dont head home to much. And my roommate buys the sirloins more than I do. But i do like to have ribs now and then. If you work hard why not have a good meal too huh? haha. I think we played about 2.30 a pound for ribs. I cant remember the price for the rest of it but we were goin to run out to a place that sells i think meat they butcher themselves cause its rather cheap. Was wondering how good of a deal it was though.

But college kids got to eat too and Mac n Cheese and Peanute butter can only last you so long :lol2:. And its cheaper than eating out...

I know this is going to sound like one of those walked 10 miles uphill both ways in the snow to school stories, but...

When I was in college, I ate boil a bag swedish meatballs, peanut butter sandwiches, lots of spaghetti and Ragu, and the occasional 3 for $1.00 egg rolls from a Chinese restaurant with a drive through. I can't remember ever eating a steak in college. My roommate would occasionally buy some ribs at a BBQ place down the road and I thought he was living too high when he did that. :lol: :lol:

When I was in college a couple of my buddies studied meat science and they would bring back tons of mis-cut meat to the house. I can't say I ever bought meat in college cause of this source. Only problem I ever ran into with this deal was being a little annibriated one day when I decided BBQ ribs were in order. I pulled out a rack of "ribs" from the freezer. Thawed them out in a marinade sauce and began cooking them only to watch them shrink and shrink and shrink. This was the day I learned that unsliced pork bellies look a lot like ribs and BBQ'ed pork bellies are about as chewy as a tractor tire. :oops:

Of course, I'm sure you are much higher on the learning curve than I was as they have taken prayer out of our schools. I'm pretty sure prayer is the only thing that got me through school. :oops: :lol2:

Edit: BTW, I think it is good that you are doing your own cooking. If done right, you can definitely save a lot of money and eat much better by doing this. Also, its part of the learning experience. Good job. :tiphat: Check your pm cause I sent you something you might find helpful.

I was kinda like Jogeephus in school. I worked at the Meats Lab in Auburn and would take the end cuts home. I help out some with the TEST projects. Not all were half bad, got to take home 5 lb of sausage with Jack Daniels. That was some good eaten. I don't know what school you go to but I know Tex A&M has a good meats program and I am sure they have a store like we did. We were always cheaper than the grocery store.

Also when we were in school had a friend what was a big hunter. I can count how many times I fixed sloppy joes and hamburger helper with deer burger.

Auburn_Ag":3njxyc62 said:
I was kinda like Jogeephus in school. I worked at the Meats Lab in Auburn and would take the end cuts home. I help out some with the TEST projects. Not all were half bad, got to take home 5 lb of sausage with Jack Daniels. That was some good eaten. I don't know what school you go to but I know Tex A&M has a good meats program and I am sure they have a store like we did. We were always cheaper than the grocery store.

Also when we were in school had a friend what was a big hunter. I can count how many times I fixed sloppy joes and hamburger helper with deer burger.

Im at A&M. We dont go there though. We go to a place called Slovecks. The meat is even cheaper there and its really good. We had dove a few nights ago (roommate went hunting). Tasted great.

CattleHand":2zahb9vi said:
Ground Beef: 1.29 - 1.79 depend on fat content
Beef Ribs: 1.49
Sausage: 2.29
Chicken Breasts: .99 with bone / 1.99 boneless
Sirloin Steak: 3.99
Brisket: hard to find here

CattleHand":114v5swc said:
Auburn_Ag":114v5swc said:

Im at A&M. We dont go there though. We go to a place called Slovecks. The meat is even cheaper there and its really good. We had dove a few nights ago (roommate went hunting). Tasted great.
Slovacek (Slow-vah-check) :)

1982vett":2wzrhukh said:
CattleHand":2wzrhukh said:
Auburn_Ag":2wzrhukh said:

Slovacek (Slow-vah-check) :)

yup thats right. its pretty cheap meat I thought.

We couldn't afford beef in college so we grilled a lot of chicken thighs and legs. Thighs are really greasy if you fry them but not too bad grilled. Sometimes you can catch marked down stuff in the meat cooler - things that have been there a day or two - nothing wrong with it but it needs to be cooked or frozen pretty soon...

Latest posts