How much should a new calf move around?

Help Support CattleToday:

nTrouble

Reaction score
How much should a ten day old bottle calf be moving around. This one does not walk much.

Backstory: Last week, the beef cows escaped through a hole in the fence. One momma decided to have her calf outside the fence. Last Saturday, hunters brought it back to us. It was light and weak.

We do not think that the calf got any colostrum. When we put the calf with his mother, he could not nurse. When we tried to milk her, blood came out.

Based on three days of incoming rain and the need to bottle feed the calf, we threw him in the truck, and now he is a city cow in a fenced back yard living under a tarp thrown over a swing set.

Over the past week, our lack of experience has not yet killed it. He drinks about 1.5 to 2 quarts of milk replacer each morning and 2 quarts at night.

The problem is that he does not move around much. He stands, and I cannot get him to move move far from his tarp. Three days ago, he would follow me around the yard for a 10 to 15 minutes. Now, he just stands and sniffs things.

Am I missing a problem, or do I have yet another lazy youngling around my house?

Since his weight is up, he will likely go back to the country in a couple of days.

I would appreciate any advice. This is the first time that I have been asked to deal with an animal. Normally, I just cut hay.

Thanks

nT

:welcome: to Cattle Today.

I'm not feeling positive about this calf's chance of survival at this point. He needs to bond with his mother and it sounds like you can't be sure which cow she is. He probably also didn't get his initial colostrum which isn't good either.

Others will have some advice for you but short if raising him as a bottle calf I'm out if ideas. Maybe sell him at you local sale facility or on Craigslist?

I would also suggest taking him to a vet or at the very least calling one, even sending pics. Most likely didn't receive colostrum but could be numerous things. Have you taken his temp? 101.5 is normal. Snotty nose, runny eyes or coughing? Is he breathing hard? Lungs sound clear? What does his navel look like? Swollen joints? If you have Vitamin B Complex, Bo-Se, Nursemate ASAP &/or Pro Bios I would start there. You may need up up the amount your feeding, depending on his size. Does he look/feel dehydrated and do you have fresh water available?

I would absolutely not take him back to the country in a couple of days - this is not normal 10 day old calf behavior.

The calf will die if you take it back to the country because it has no bond with a cow. I also think that it could have some underlying problems if it did not get colostrum and unless you address them, you are sentencing it to die by taking it back. Better to shoot it than to take it out there to die a lingering death. Navel or joint ill and some stomach difficulties are probable. This is a bottle calf and you need to accept that idea. I also agree that it needs to be looked at by a vet as it may be a bit dehydrated, or if it has other problems, a vet should be able to pick up on it and may need some antibiotics and other nutritional support such as TCRanch has suggested.

You need too keep feeding with reccomended amount on milk replacer packet.

It is young, it is not going to do much but sleep and eat.

Read many threads here on what too look for if it seems sick, sleeping is not sick, coughing, not able too stand, mucus from the nose, no strength etc is sick.....

I would get some man made colustrum and probiotics and gove that as well.

Drinking andcstanding to get bottle is a good sign......also have some pellet and hay or chaff too nibble on, but congrats, your now a momma 😀

Keep a small amount of grain out until he starts eating it. Then keep all he will eat. Keep water available... Yes he's drinking milk, but he needs more than just milk to do well. Bottle babies do sleep a lot, but it wont be long before be is hammering your knees and thighs trying to find some milk everytime he sees you. Good luck.

I find some go for you, some do not, but all calves interested in the bottle and drinking are at least doing one thing right.

They can be getting ill but while still coming and drinking milk, so read up on signs of illness still.

Thanks everyone. Here is the April 1 update on the calf.

He is drinking 2q milk replacer at every feeding (2x day). He has not been interested in a third feeding.
He has found the water bucket and will drink a little when he passes by it.
When he urinates, it is not dark.
He still moves slowly. This afternoon, I went out on a non feed time, and all he did was look at me. He either likes his face scratched or hates it, I can't tell. He just lifted his head straight up an looked at me. One I got him up, he wandered around the yard smelling things. I think that he tried to eat some clover. He was up for about an hour.

If he goes back to the country, he will still be bottle fed and observed. It is easier to nurse him in my back yard, and we have more eyes on him here.

His nose does not seem runny. I do not see mucus except for the drool that comes out of his mouth when I am feeding him.

His joints do not seem overly large when compared to pictures of calves. I wish this site allowed the posting of photographs or links.

We pulled about 6 large ticks off of him. What insecticide can be used on a calf?

I appreciate everyone's time.

I personally would wait until he is at least a month old and then maybe use a pour-on wormer. Someone else may know more, but a dust type application that is non-systemic might help for the next few weeks.

What kind of milk replacer are you feeding him? Make sure it does not contain soy. Keep in mind, 2 quarts is a lot at one time for a small calf and he's probably full at that time but still not getting enough calories & energy. I would suggest 3 smaller feedings a day and have some quality hay available. And again, Vitamin B Complex & Pro Bios for additional energy plus it's good for the gut.

I don't know where you're located but some areas are deficient in selenium, other minerals and he may benefit from a shot of Bo-Se but I would strongly urge you to call your vet.

There is an option to add pictures. Either "Add image to post" at the bottom left hand corner of your post or you can go to www.postimage.org to upload pics and copy/paste.

I am feeding him a milk based replacer without soy. He is taking 2 quarts and will occasionally want three. Based on your recommendation, I have given him the Pro Bios. Is vitamin B complex something oral or is it injectable?

i think that it will not allow me to post pictures since I am so new to this forum. I get this error.

"Can't post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove . . . "

Thank you.

nTrouble said:
I am feeding him a milk based replacer without soy. He is taking 2 quarts and will occasionally want three. Based on your recommendation, I have given him the Pro Bios. Is vitamin B complex something oral or is it injectable?

i think that it will not allow me to post pictures since I am so new to this forum. I get this error.

"Can't post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove . . . "

Thank you.
Gotcha.

You can get Vitamin B Complex at your vet or most any farm store (Orscheln, Tractor Supply, your local Co-Op) or online. Dosage for calves is 5cc per 100 lbs, IM (intramuscular). You're doing great! I would also suggest having quality hay available.

nTrouble said:
Thanks everyone. Here is the April 1 update on the calf.

He is drinking 2q milk replacer at every feeding (2x day). He has not been interested in a third feeding.
He has found the water bucket and will drink a little when he passes by it.
When he urinates, it is not dark.
He still moves slowly. This afternoon, I went out on a non feed time, and all he did was look at me. He either likes his face scratched or hates it, I can't tell. He just lifted his head straight up an looked at me. One I got him up, he wandered around the yard smelling things. I think that he tried to eat some clover. He was up for about an hour.

If he goes back to the country, he will still be bottle fed and observed. It is easier to nurse him in my back yard, and we have more eyes on him here.

His nose does not seem runny. I do not see mucus except for the drool that comes out of his mouth when I am feeding him.

His joints do not seem overly large when compared to pictures of calves. I wish this site allowed the posting of photographs or links.

We pulled about 6 large ticks off of him. What insecticide can be used on a calf?

I appreciate everyone's time.

Going backward....

No idea on ticks, ask vet or rural store if no one chimes in.

Do not worry about joints unless crippled somehow.....if walking, all good.....

Nose and mouth, well, that is good, when drinking milk he should slobber, this saliva aids in digestion etc, so good 😀

Feed him there till he is a handfull, wont take too long, if moving, he needs at least one similar mate or often visits from you or someone, they are social or herd animals, lonesome is ok for first few weeks or so, bit then....

2 x 2 quarts is fine, and they have moods too, so he wont be just a cuddly teddy or like a dog.

Do not feed more powder that packet says, you will know when he is hungry, but you need to start presenting chaff or finer hay and some creep or pellets......

Latest posts