How much more?

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
How much more should we be willing to pay for a quality made American product over what very well may be a fairly well made foriegn product? I think it's time we thought more about that, or at least I do. I've been guilty of not paying attention to where something was made, I've been guilty of buying cheaper foriegn products when I thought the American product was beyond what I could afford. Just curious what everybody thinks.

Larry

I absolutely agree- for the most part.

You can also get burned paying more for American made of less quality. For instance my chainsaw and weed whackers are Stihl. As far as I am concerned they make an excellent product, parts are readily available locally for maintenance and repair.

Where I have failed myself is in my shopping. I have already been to Wally World 6 times this year. That is more than last year and its only July. They'll sell you an lawnmower or chainsaw but have very little parts for repair and they only keep what they carry on a seasonal basis. Most everything is foreign built. I've got a laundry list of issues with them such as they no longer sell fire arms because they bowed to pressure.

When I buy American made at a maw and paw business, I feel good about myself.

backhoeboogie":1cr22j11 said:
I absolutely agree- for the most part.

You can also get burned paying more for American made of less quality. For instance my chainsaw and weed whackers are Stihl. As far as I am concerned they make an excellent product, parts are readily available locally for maintenance and repair.

Where I have failed myself is in my shopping. I have already been to Wally World 6 times this year. That is more than last year and its only July. They'll sell you an lawnmower or chainsaw but have very little parts for repair and they only keep what they carry on a seasonal basis. Most everything is foreign built. I've got a laundry list of issues with them such as they no longer sell fire arms because they bowed to pressure.

When I buy American made at a maw and paw business, I feel good about myself.
So true, even more so since so many are out of work. backhoe we too use stihl saws and I think there is none better.

Larry

Unfortunately a lot of foreign made products are not only cheaper but better as well...you don't need parts. I've got a Chevy made in Canada and a Dodge truck made in Mexico and a car with a foreign name made in the USA.

The bottomline(s) is/are:

PARTS
SERVICE
CONVENIENCE

That said, regardless of who sells it (or) what the product is, one must assume that if a product has more than ONE part (or component) it will eventually malfunction or break (Murray's Law revisited).

The Big Box retailers thrive on purchasing the item that they can get the best deal (price) on and/or is "Just In Time" manufacturing. What you see today may not be available there tomorrow or next week, month, etc. Their objective is high turn-over of an given product (short shelf life, space, cost to keep per square foot of shelf space, etc.). "Service" is not an issue with them..."First In, First Out" inventory is the goal...

IMO, I'll pay a little more to get a product that has a supplier (service, parts) that is close by and has parts and service when needed. I don't want a product where you have to wait until the ship comes in to deliver a $5. part. Otherwise, I'll just consider the item to have a "short useful life" and is a disposable item.

In the long run, it "costs no more to go first class" (whatever that means) when it comes to Parts, Service, and Convenience.

;-)

Running Arrow Bill":2ncos12n said:

PARTS
SERVICE
CONVENIENCE

And durability. I don't want to have to replace something every year because it wears out. It should be made to last. What gets me is tires. If they made them any cheaper they would hold air the first time.

I pay attention to where things are made but I don't obsess over it. If two products are similar in quality and price, even if the American product is a little more, I'll buy American every time. But I'm not going to spend my hard earned money on a piece of crap just because it's American made if I can get something cheaper and of better quality that's foreign made. When I do that I always think "Sorry guys, but my family comes first. If you want my business, build a better product."
As for Mom and Pop stores, I try to spend as much money in the small town I live in as possible. As an example, we have a nice little grocery store not a half mile from me. Locally owned and employs local people. Doesn't have the variety as one of the big super stores, but it has everything we need. If I spend an extra $20 a week there as opposed to making a 25 mile round trip, well, I can live with that. If the kids were still home, and I could save $100 a week going to the bigger store, that would be a different story.
I agree with RAB about service and parts being a factor for the bigger ticket items, no matter where they're made. When it comes to such things as larger appliances or lawn mowers I will always buy from a dealer that specializes in those products and stands behind what they sell. Might cost a little more, but it's worth it to me. Three years ago I bought a cheap push mower from one of the big discount stores. I won't go into details but I guarantee you that'll never happen again. This year I did a little research and ended up buying a Honda, from a John Deere dealer no less. So far I couldn't be happier and I know the dealer will back it up.

You all make some very good points. For myself I'm going to 1. be more aware of where the products I'm buying are mde. 2. let American made win all ties. 3. be more aware of the actual value of what I'm buying.

Larry

I think how we all "vote" with our dollars is almost as important as our votes in the ballot box. And spending money in your own county is the best because you contribute to the tax base in smaller and less painful increments than when the property tax and real estate tax bills show up at the end of the year. We have 3 little gas station/stores in our little town. I can buy gas a dime cheaper in the city on my way to and from work but keeping mom and pop in business and keeping gasoline available 5 miles from my house has its merits, too. We buy milk from a dairy that invested in processing and bottling equipment and has their own "brand". It costs more but it really does taste fresher and better, plus we like the glass bottles and really like knowing we are contributing to the success of a 5-generation family farm. It all matters.

I am always willing to pay more for American made products than the overseas junk! Think American jobs. The hello with the China junk.

Miss Daisy":32idmqth said:
Running Arrow Bill":32idmqth said:

PARTS
SERVICE
CONVENIENCE

And durability. I don't want to have to replace something every year because it wears out. It should be made to last. What gets me is tires. If they made them any cheaper they would hold air the first time.[/quote]

Most tires are made in china. Hard to find a tire made in USA.

My husband used to work at a Uniroyal plant in Ardmore, OK. I guess it's still open. He went to a reunion a couple of weeks ago and I think a couple of those guys still work there.

MO_cows":o7u4yli2 said:
I think how we all "vote" with our dollars is almost as important as our votes in the ballot box. And spending money in your own county is the best because you contribute to the tax base in smaller and less painful increments than when the property tax and real estate tax bills show up at the end of the year. We have 3 little gas station/stores in our little town. I can buy gas a dime cheaper in the city on my way to and from work but keeping mom and pop in business and keeping gasoline available 5 miles from my house has its merits, too. We buy milk from a dairy that invested in processing and bottling equipment and has their own "brand". It costs more but it really does taste fresher and better, plus we like the glass bottles and really like knowing we are contributing to the success of a 5-generation family farm. It all matters.

I am in the same place here. 50 miles from anywhere. At least 20 miles to a gas station and it is a mom and pop store which we buy gas at.

What is the dairy name? We have one also. It is run by meninights ( that may be spelled wrong )

Lammie":xauujzpi said:
My husband used to work at a Uniroyal plant in Ardmore, OK. I guess it's still open. He went to a reunion a couple of weeks ago and I think a couple of those guys still work there.

I think you are right. Most tires is what I should have said. Can you even get a big tractor tire made in USA? I was told they ALL come from china.

You used to have a choice of buying American or imported products. Now with many things you have no choice. It's amazing how little is made in the US these days.

Fred":v71cgikd said:
You used to have a choice of buying American or imported products. Now with many things you have no choice. It's amazing how little is made in the US these days.

You're absolutely right Fred, and I think we're paying the price for that.

Larry

My Redwing steel toe boots are made in the USA. My Wrangler jeans are sometimes made in the USA, but always with cotten from the USA, that part is too much to believe they printed. Fact is, I do go for the home team when I can. Pride is one thing, it's awesome to build something and be proud of it. But when a country can pay its own way by the sweat of its brow, I mean do stuff better, like no other can. That's an achievement. I work in the machinist industry. My work will be there for awhile. It's uncomfortable to see it steadily go into a slump. I'm not sure but the cars we build, are they stamped from USA steel, or stamped overseas, all the parts and whatever machined, then assembled here in the USA? Like my jeans made in Mexico from USA cotten. If they are building something here in the US, it's because it's cheaper, bottom line. Just like this thread was started. Where's the line? How much more? That's how it's done, just like us with our feed for our livestock, it's the bottom line. Can't answer this thread in a real number.