How much mineral access?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I have one of the wooden shed type mineral feeders. It's enough for one or two cows to poke their head in at a time. Is that enough access for 16 cows, or should I have room for several cows at a time? I don't assume all the cows will have a desire for minerals at exactly the same time.

Should be plenty. They can either wait their or push each other our of the way(or push the feeder around and tip it over). Pretty much up to them

It's probably enough but I would still consider putting out another one in another location

I know that most people aren't fans of mineral blocks, but how would it be to put loose mineral in the house and scatter few blocks here and there? I notice there are metal block holders that could even be mounted to a tree. I know a couple of farmers who leave theirs blocks exposed to weather, so I assume they don't deteriorate too quickly in weather.

herofan":3tst9pxg said:
I know that most people aren't fans of mineral blocks, but how would it be to put loose mineral in the house and scatter few blocks here and there? I notice there are metal block holders that could even be mounted to a tree. I know a couple of farmers who leave theirs blocks exposed to weather, so I assume they don't deteriorate too quickly in weather.
The reson they don;t deteriorate in the weather is because they're harder then a harlots heart. About all putting a bunch of them out would do is give the cows something to do.

dun":273x6871 said:
herofan":273x6871 said:
The reson they don;t deteriorate in the weather is because they're harder then a harlots heart. About all putting a bunch of them out would do is give the cows something to do.

I certainly appreciate all the advice, I guess i just have to readjust my thinking to what I've seen a lot. Most cattle farmers i talk to use the mineral blocks and always have. So, are the blocks absolutely useless? Are the cows at least getting salt from them? Is a cow using a salt block like a human eating only lettuce to try and fulfill all their nutritional needs? I have a block out for my calves, and it's obvious they use it, but they don't bother the loose mineral too much.

herofan":1ibkcm3t said:
dun":1ibkcm3t said:
herofan":1ibkcm3t said:

I certainly appreciate all the advice, I guess i just have to readjust my thinking to what I've seen a lot. Most cattle farmers i talk to use the mineral blocks and always have. So, are the blocks absolutely useless? Are the cows at least getting salt from them? Is a cow using a salt block like a human eating only lettuce to try and fulfill all their nutritional needs? I have a block out for my calves, and it's obvious they use it, but they don't bother the loose mineral too much.
If you look at the oingredients on the block you'll notice that's almost all salt. About all the blocks do is make a farmer feel that he's doing something and give the cows salt and a good tongue exercise.

Oh, and i didn't describe my situation. During spring and summer, there will be plenty of green pasture for the cows. we will be able to rotate pasture as well. If a cow is getting a healthy diet of grass, do they get most everything they need from that?

herofan":3n9ahgi9 said:
dun":3n9ahgi9 said:
herofan":3n9ahgi9 said:

Folks on here do it different ways. I have good results with Dun's barrel method. One barrel should accomodate 16 head. It's the same as water, hay, etc., there's a pecking order. My minerals and salt are loose and mixed. I feel that placing the blocks out would just defeat the purpose.

fitz

herofan":1wlv5aoy said:
Oh, and i didn't describe my situation. During spring and summer, there will be plenty of green pasture for the cows. we will be able to rotate pasture as well. If a cow is getting a healthy diet of grass, do they get most everything they need from that?
They may get enough but then again, they may not. It's darn cheap insurance

fitz":3c1r2kn0 said:
Folks on here do it different ways. I have good results with Dun's barrel method. One barrel should accomodate 16 head. It's the same as water, hay, etc., there's a pecking order. My minerals and salt are loose and mixed. I feel that placing the blocks out would just defeat the purpose.

fitz

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Same here, except # of head.

Where I ahd been working, the "house" type feeders were in each pasture, 1 per pasture. Each pasture contained a minimum of 50 head. Each day the pastures were driven through to check cows and mineral etc.

I know a few folks in my area that tell me that loose is a waste of $$, personally I disagree.

When I switched, years ago, from blocks to loose I noticed a difference in my cows appearance and general well-being. At calving time they 'cleaned' faster and better, their coats are better and just overall appeared healthier. Not that they looked sickly, they looked fine, but they started looking better after I switched and it seems to me that there was better conversion.

For my area it made better sense as there is a lot of endophyte infected Fescue and the Hi-Mag mix is beneficial during 'peak' growing season.

Katherine

I agree that loose mineral is better for cattle instead of wasting money on mineral blocks. My cows like regular salt blocks, but they also like loose minerals and do a better job on them. I have a lot of endophyte infected fescue too and hi-mag loose mineral works to prevent grass tetany.

Thanks for the info everybody. So, it appears to me that people who "know" about cattle feel the blocks are no good. I wonder why they seem to be the thing where I am in KY? It seems to me they are a waste and do no good. If i were to go only be what i see, I would think the blocks were awesome. My local TSC store has an entire section in the middle of the store with the red, white, and yellow blocks. They tend to go down quickly. Beside them are a few bags of loose mineral.

I've learned a lot from these boards, including to stop assuming that just because everybody has done something a certain way, for generations doesn't necessarily make it right, or best. If nothing more than just reading here, the different opinions and methods, this prompts me to my own research. In that process I learn a lot more. The CT board has been my best source of info.

Ouachita":2ldbhl1l said:
I've learned a lot from these boards, including to stop assuming that just because everybody has done something a certain way, for generations doesn't necessarily make it right, or best. If nothing more than just reading here, the different opinions and methods, this prompts me to my own research. In that process I learn a lot more. The CT board has been my best source of info.
Maybe the folks that use loose minerals are sheeple and blindly follow the evil mineral companys line

dun":ruyr004h said:
herofan":ruyr004h said:
They may get enough but then again, they may not. It's darn cheap insurance

I usually put out a mineral with less Phos during good green times... Say like a 7.5%, so the cows will get the trace minerals they need... It's been my practice for a while.. In the winter or dormant grass time, we go back to the 12% Phos....

when grass is young and green and growing like gang busters is when it is watery and goes thru em. careful observers will see mineral use increase dramatically during those times. this tells me that this is not the time to try to economize on mineral.

If I could only do one thing to aid my cattle a good loose mineral would be my choice. I currently like to use one with fly control and ctc for anaplasmosis and pink eye. really helps. you can not do that with a block. I would use a chelated mineral if I could put my hands on one locally with ctc and fly control.

alas I can not and I am too small to special order. blocks are better than nothing.....but not by much. for those that think they are.... I assume you have one on your kitchen table and not loose salt. They are popular because they are cheap and last forever and folks think they are a great value. The cows can not even meet their salt demand form them much less any other mineral needs.

I always figured one mineral feeder per every 30 head or so. You should be fine with only 16 head.

There is a big difference between a true mineral block and a red trace mineralized salt block. Altough I have not looked for them in recent years, there were some mineral companies that made some of their minerals in block form. Moorman's come to mind. These were good high quality minerals, but consumption and flexibility was a problem. What most people call a mineral block is a red colored trace mineralized salt block, sold at TSC and other farm/feed stores for about $6.00. It's about 98% salt and provides no major minerals. It just makes you think you are feeding mineral because of the red color. A true mineral block with quality equivlent to the loose form would probably cost $25.00 or more.

That should work. That would give each cow 4 oz. a day and you refill once a week. Helps keep up with consumption.

dun":3ge3l8wp said:
Ouachita":3ge3l8wp said:
Maybe the folks that use loose minerals are sheeple and blindly follow the evil mineral companys line

:?:
I use only loose mineral. I was offering an example of why some people use, or continue to use, blocks. And complimenting CT, and you, and folks like you, who provide valuable information. Did you interpret my post differently?

Latest posts