How much mineral access?

Help Support CattleToday:

What are some of the name-brands you all recommend? Where do you purchase it, at TSC, Southern States, or a locally owned store? Thanks.

herofan":op18xlqa said:
What are some of the name-brands you all recommend? Where do you purchase it, at TSC, Southern States, or a locally owned store? Thanks.

I get mine at the co-op which is a Southern States, and the "brand" is 'Young's Beef and Brood Cow'. The Young's has several different blends for different needs and areas.

I have not checked to see what TSC has to offer. My experience with the one 'close' to me (about 34 miles) is not very positive in that the folks that work there don't know very much about livestock or the products they carry/sell.

Katherine

Ouachita":1753s68v said:
dun":1753s68v said:
Ouachita":1753s68v said:
I've learned a lot from these boards, including to stop assuming that just because everybody has done something a certain way, for generations doesn't necessarily make it right, or best. If nothing more than just reading here, the different opinions and methods, this prompts me to my own research. In that process I learn a lot more. The CT board has been my best source of info.
Maybe the folks that use loose minerals are sheeple and blindly follow the evil mineral companys line

:?:
I use only loose mineral. I was offering an example of why some people use, or continue to use, blocks. And complimenting CT, and you, and folks like you, who provide valuable information. Did you interpret my post differently?

I took what Dun wrote to be a joke Ouachita. I might be wrong but that was my impression.

Workinonit Farm":38dowk2q said:
herofan":38dowk2q said:

I get mine at the co-op which is a Southern States, and the "brand" is 'Young's Beef and Brood Cow'. The Young's has several different blends for different needs and areas.

I have not checked to see what TSC has to offer. My experience with the one 'close' to me (about 34 miles) is not very positive in that the folks that work there don't know very much about livestock or the products they carry/sell.

Katherine

this is also my favorite....my feed store has quit carrying it though and now the closest store for me to find it is Katherines store which is 26 miles from me in the opposite direction from my normal travels. I need a couple of bags now and will have to make a special trip over there.

although the name has changed....Youngs was bought by Cargill. I don't know how long it will be before they monkey with the mix. I have even been using this mineral for my horses.

generally the big box coop mixes don't have a blend I love. I am not a hi-mag kind of guy. find a good balanced mineral and feed it year round and you don't need hi-mag. balance is the key. Extra mag is not properly utilized if another mineral is lacking.

generally the mineral companies do a better job of balancing than the coop mixes. But even the mineral companies will sometimes go off on a tangent in a marketing campaign. this is usually in response to consumer demand and cheap competition.

it is old foundation science that calcium phosphorous and magnesioum need to be at a 2 : 1 : 1 ratio and that is difficult to find.
I used to mix my own.

herofan":2fh2qm7o said:
We tried Purina and Cargill. Now all we use (and for the past couple of years) Vigortone w?CTC. Hi-mag when we get the spring flush, IGR from spring through fall, then regular during the winter. We get it from the local distributor that hauls it in by the semi load.

Latest posts