How much is it worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

roujesky

Reaction score
I have 4 heiffers. I borrowed a bull from my neighbor. The bull is in my pasture, and I feed him with the heiffers. He has an extra one in his small herd. Anyway, I asked him how much it would cost. He was non-committal. He is a super nice guy. His English is pretty poor, but the impression I got was to give him whatever I thought it was worth. It is not a registered bull. It would be great to barter with him, but I am new and really don't have anything he needs :( So, how much money should I give him for loaning me his bull for a month.

roujesky":2qspxwnu said:
I have 4 heiffers. I borrowed a bull from my neighbor. The bull is in my pasture, and I feed him with the heiffers. He has an extra one in his small herd. Anyway, I asked him how much it would cost. He was non-committal. He is a super nice guy. His English is pretty poor, but the impression I got was to give him whatever I thought it was worth. It is not a registered bull. It would be great to barter with him, but I am new and really don't have anything he needs :( So, how much money should I give him for loaning me his bull for a month.
id say about fifty dollars would be fare for no more work than he's doing

About 6 years ago I rented a bull for my small herd. He charged me $25 per head of cattle I had.... but that was 6 years ago. His thinking was I was feeding the bull so he thought that was fair.

Alan

Also, my mentor and good friend use to give me hay (10 to 15 tons) for my and my sons help in putting it up and storing it in his barn. He refused to let me pay him for the hay, I knew he drank a little scotch on the rocks, so I bought him an $80 bottle every year.

Alan

Mhy Neighbor had a half dozen LH heifers that thought they should be Angus and jumped the fence. I rounded up four and they took them home the same night, then I rounded up the other two a few days later and trailered them over there myself. She kept wanting to pay me for the forage they ate and my time, but I sure wouldnt have felt right taking any money. I dont figure they ate any grass that I would have been doing anything else with and a happy neighbor is worth way more than money.

Slightly off subject, but just my two cents.

If he will not tell you how much, I would probably throw him a $100.00 bill and see if he is happy with it. It would cost more than that to A.I. or purchase a bull and I would want to make sure I paid enough.

Ps. I would not be so sure they would get bred in just one month. You might pay for the bulls service and still have open heifers.

Yeah, I think handing him a hundred dollar bill would be good for both of you.

I honestly think it is something that should have been discussed before hand.. BUT, since it wasnt. Give him at least 50

if you lived around my neck of the woods you wouldnt have to pay him. just let him find that weak spot in the fence. and problem solved. heifers bred and he has too fix the fence :p

We leased a bull couple years ago..was $50 for 2 months...the bull actually stayed a little longer. We also paid for delivery and pick up a total of $100. Donna