How much hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
I know some of you guys have this figured pretty close. Trying to figure how many round bales a cow needs, say per month in winter? Just a general idea is just great. Thanks for your help.

For the past two winters here in KY, which have had some blasts of significant snowfall, I have fed about 4 of the 5x5 rolls per cow. That seems less than some people around here, I don't know why. I had anywhere from 17-20 cows, and I let them roam about 75 acres of pasture land during that time. I think the large area helps.

Figure 3% of the cows body weight X how many days you expect to feed. They actually weigh a few of the rolls of hay to be sure the rolls you might think weigh 800 don't really weigh 500. Then estimate the waste you will have and you can figure real close to how much hay you will need per cow. The waste can be the big issue.

By the time grass arrives UP here I will be in the 8-10 4x5 round bale range per animal.

But I live in deep snow country, so early winter stockpiling/grazing and early spring grazing are just mere dreams.

I use 4 per cow per year. 4x5 rolls. Not really big or tight rolls. I like to have 5 per cow going in though. We waste a lot too.

South East texas and I figure 4 4x5 rolls per cow per year .. I usually have about 1/3 of that left in the barn at the end of winter . But I have fed all 4 rolls in a bad year ..

I feed 4 rolls per cow on average winter, and 5 per cow if it gets bad. I'm in north Louisiana

I'm in NE Georgia and fed 2.3 bales each for 8 1.5-2 year old heifers and my neighbors bull he loaned me. Had about a bale of waste.
In good weather I made them scrounge and clean up scraps before putting out another bale.
We did have a fairly mild winter.
I had 42 bales to start, plenty left in the barn but looked at it as insurance.

herofan":3l2slwdh said:
For the past two winters here in KY, which have had some blasts of significant snowfall, I have fed about 4 of the 5x5 rolls per cow.
X2, usually leaves a little cushion of extra.

Fed a total of 2 bales last year. One for keeping a sale group in the lot overnight after sorting and do not remember why I fed the other one: maybe baiting something in the lots? We keep some hay on hand for sleet if it comes.

I like to have 7 4x5s per cow. Nine years out of 10 that is more than enough. The closest I have came to running out was the winter of 2009-2010. On a 30 some cow herd I had seven bales left at the end of the winter.

Ebenezer":1a30usca said:
Fed a total of 2 bales last year. One for keeping a sale group in the lot overnight after sorting and do not remember why I fed the other one: maybe baiting something in the lots? We keep some hay on hand for sleet if it comes.

Ebenezer, I need to learn a few things from you!