how much hay for growing bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
Just curious as to how much hay purebred breeders figure on per day along with grain for their growing ( weanling to yearling)ulls

I feed hay free choice to my bulls. Most have round bales but the ones I hand feed get 2 flakes twice daily.

cleland":osv600oi said:
Just curious as to how much hay purebred breeders figure on per day along with grain for their growing ( weanling to yearling)ulls

Depends on the quality of the hay, but I usually feed free choice hay that will help develop the rumen.

2-3 pounds of weight per day should be enough gain.

Rule of thumb is they will consume 1 to 3% of their body weight per day depending on the protien value of the daily ration (i.e. feed + hay+ pasture). How much weight they gain per day depends on their total caloric intake which depends on how much they eat and the energy value (i.e. TDN) of the daily ration. Hay stored outside typically looses TDN and CP value the longer it sits so an increasing protien supplement may be needed to maintain a desired DMI and ADG. Below is a link to a paper which has tables for suggested DMI, TDN, CP, etc for ADGs by weight class.

http://www.aces.edu/department/aawm/anr-60.pdf

arkcowman":yto58bzy said:
Is the proper definition of a flake one handful pulled off a square bale ?

When you cut the strings on a square bale, ever notice how it tends to come apart in sections? Each of those sections is a flake.

msscamp":2ln4muxi said:
arkcowman":2ln4muxi said:
Is the proper definition of a flake one handful pulled off a square bale ?

When you cut the strings on a square bale, ever notice how it tends to come apart in sections? Each of those sections is a flake.

Thats the way I always figured it.

Edit; If it's a haltered weanling or yearling, I will normally test them to see how much they can clean up, without wasting.

Just to make it a little more confusing, a flake, depending on how heavy the square bale is and how big the square bale is, could be anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds up to 10 lbs... depends on the baler. My cows are about 1000 to 1100 lbs each, if I had 10 that would be 10,000 pounds. They eat aprox 2 to 3 percent of body weight a day, 10,000 x 2% (or .02) = 200lbs of hay a day. So I'll feed 10, 1000lbs cows 5 50lb bales a day, or 2 1/2 bales am and pm.

Alan

stuff a 1200 lb round bale out there and let em have at it. watch them, and get an idea of what each will eat. then you can go to using square bales and ration it.

An expert from an ag agency stated that a 1200 lb cow needs 20 lbs per day & a 1500 lb cow 25 lb/pd. This is when each are receiving 13 lb of proten per day. Since his job is selling he may have been holding a sales meeting but believe its close.

Just curious as to how much hay purebred breeders figure on per day along with grain for their growing ( weanling to yearling)ulls.

An expert from an ag agency stated that a 1200 lb cow needs 20 lbs per day & a 1500 lb cow 25 lb/pd. This is when each are receiving 13 lb of proten per day. Since his job is selling he may have been holding a sales meeting but believe its close

toby":13x4d96h said:
Just curious as to how much hay purebred breeders figure on per day along with grain for their growing ( weanling to yearling)ulls.

An expert from an ag agency stated that a 1200 lb cow needs 20 lbs per day & a 1500 lb cow 25 lb/pd. This is when each are receiving 13 lb of proten per day. Since his job is selling he may have been holding a sales meeting but believe its close

There are too many variables for this cut and dried number to be correct. For example, forage quality and availability, location, temps, weather conditions, pregnant, what stage of pregnancy, supporting a calf, open, general condition of the animal, etc. It is also going to vary according to the quality of the hay/feed, and what kind of grain is used (if any) to provide the protein. Corn is high protein, but also provides a higher energy than some would prefer, DDG provides protein, but if you feed too much the cattle put on the wrong kind of fat, etc, etc.

msscamp":3rhs6n3v said:

I've always heard them referred to as a pat of hay.

backhoeboogie":1eaen2l8 said:
msscamp":1eaen2l8 said:

I've always heard them referred to as a pat of hay.

Probably one of those regional differences. :lol:

First determine the quality of the hay that you are feeding...the county agent should steer you in the right direction fo have this service done.
Know the weight of the animal...weight tapes are a inexpensive method...if you have the facilities or a real dostile animal.
The size of the animal and the nutrient content of the feed will determine the quanity that it needs for maintenance or to produce the desired rate of gain that you expect.
Under feed and you will be starving the creature, over feed and you are making some expensive manure. Alot more involved
than most folks think...
Just my two bits worth.
Dave Mc

Alan":c6sryl2q said:
Just to make it a little more confusing, a flake, depending on how heavy the square bale is and how big the square bale is, could be anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds up to 10 lbs... depends on the baler. My cows are about 1000 to 1100 lbs each, if I had 10 that would be 10,000 pounds. They eat aprox 2 to 3 percent of body weight a day, 10,000 x 2% (or .02) = 200lbs of hay a day. So I'll feed 10, 1000lbs cows 5 50lb bales a day, or 2 1/2 bales am and pm.

Alan
Hey Alan, did I do the math correctly? 1 cow weighing 1000lbs. should get 1/2bale per day? Also, is this assuming no pasture available at all (ie: snow)? And no supplemental grain? I am assuming that it is good hay with proper energy and protein levels. Thank you....Dennis

Latest posts