How much ground rod to leave showing?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Got my first ground rod in and left about 5-6 inches showing. Do I need to go deeper? Okay on my insulated wire do I just expose enough to attach to the ground rod and the charger?

tncattle":34lw205z said:
Got my first ground rod in and left about 5-6 inches showing. Do I need to go deeper? Okay on my insulated wire do I just expose enough to attach to the ground rod and the charger?

You only need to leave a couple inches exposed, so yes, you could go deeper. You only need the wire exposed at the ground terminal and where the clamp, wire and ground rod contact. :cowboy:

tncattle":18xota6g said:
I drove mine most of the way down attached the wire and pounded it down below ground level and buried the wire.

Tod Dague":n0p7brxk said:
tncattle":n0p7brxk said:
I drove mine most of the way down attached the wire and pounded it down below ground level and buried the wire.
I put mine out of the way but like to leave the very top with the wire exposed. It's surprising how often the wire will lose connection, come loose or detach (never have figured out why or how). Leaving it out of the ground also slows down the elctralosis that can cause berdigris to build up weakening the quality of the connection.

Maybe you already know to do this, but I go around and water my ground rods like you would a tree all the time....keeping the ground around them always wet. I think it helps.

dun":29jomdij said:
Tod Dague":29jomdij said:
tncattle":29jomdij said:
I put mine out of the way but like to leave the very top with the wire exposed. It's surprising how often the wire will lose connection, come loose or detach (never have figured out why or how). Leaving it out of the ground also slows down the elctralosis that can cause berdigris to build up weakening the quality of the connection.
What is berdigris?

Tod Dague":2jux6osd said:
What is berdigris?
soryy, should have been Verdigris. Real verdigris is the the greenish stuff that forms on copper metal. I just use the term genericly for any of the stuff that forms between 2 pieces of metal that isn;t rust. Like the film that forms on your truck battery terminals that can eventually decrease the connection between the battery terminal and the cable.

dun":3okwpnqf said:
Tod Dague":3okwpnqf said:
What is berdigris?
soryy, should have been Verdigris. Real verdigris is the the greenish stuff that forms on copper metal. I just use the term genericly for any of the stuff that forms between 2 pieces of metal that isn;t rust. Like the film that forms on your truck battery terminals that can eventually decrease the connection between the battery terminal and the cable.
Thanks

dun":1zfa7czi said:
Tod Dague":1zfa7czi said:
tncattle":1zfa7czi said:

I agree.

RAranch":1zfa7czi said:
Maybe you already know to do this, but I go around and water my ground rods like you would a tree all the time....keeping the ground around them always wet. I think it helps.

A good plan can help you accomplish this. Putting ground rods under the eave of a building, on the north side, will help to retain and replace ground moisture. :cowboy:

Latest posts