How much gain???

Help Support CattleToday:

the 20 or 25lbs a day is for all 5 calves.if he feeds 25lbs a hd he will go broke in a hurry.

bigbull338":16smrrlu said:
the 20 or 25lbs a day is for all 5 calves.if he feeds 25lbs a hd he will go broke in a hurry.
Sometimes money makes little difference on ones thought process.

bigbull338":26h2gq7b said:

Make sure it's "good high energy feed"...not some of this commercial pelleted junk thats $5.00 a bag.

cowluv":rsx36f3m said:
What do you consider quality feed?

If you're buying "feed in a bag" I'd stay away from pellets. Some of the best looking pelleted feeds is some of the sorriest. Buy a textured feed or a meal type feed so you can see the grain in it. If it's steam rolled grain even looks can be deceiving. Check the fiber level on the tag and get something around 8% crude fiber or even less. If it's higher fiber find out what source of fiber they use.....soyhulls, cottonseed hulls, are good sources of fiber. Rice hulls, peanuts hulls and some of the others are nothing but filler and almost wholly undigestible. Look for "animal protein products" and if they're on the list of ingredients don't buy it. If possible buy a feed with a minimum of 4% fat. This with the grain will give you a higher energy feed. Some states don't require a lot of things be disclosed but try to insure that it has adequate, zince, copper, manganese, phosphorus, calcium and vitamins.

cowluv":vasswu09 said:
I checked the 20% cubes I've been using and it contains 11% max fiber.

20% range cubes are fed primarily as a protein supplement to hay or low quality grazing. They'll have a certain energy level but are not what you would necessarily want to feed to calves or steers for max. gain.

I use them in the summer to keep my cows interested in following me into the pen for gathering. I usually do it once every other week. They hear my truck or 4 wheeler and they come to see me. Also saves time so I don't have to hunt them down.